Author Topic: sapling ID please  (Read 5176 times)

Offline snedeker

Re: sapling ID please
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 01:09:39 pm »
Based on just the bark pic it could be a sweet birch or Zelkova also.

Dave

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 01:16:51 pm »
Go for it Mike, just make sure all of the limb is bending. The only BC bow I built that held up checked quite a bit.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 01:20:03 pm »
Go for it Mike, just make sure all of the limb is bending. The only BC bow I built that held up checked quite a bit.

Well then maybe I will back it with Hickory before I start....don't want to lose that piece....theres a nice Bow in there....just got to pull it to the Surface
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 01:21:05 pm »
Mike if you use hickory I would keep the backing thin so you don't over power the belly :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 01:25:46 pm »
Mike if you use hickory I would keep the backing thin so you don't over power the belly :)

You are soooo right..maybe just a good layer of Sinew.or maybe some of that Buck Rawhide I have laying around will do then......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Papa Matt

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 02:31:07 pm »
Oooohhh, I bet sinew would look real nice on there, against the natural color of the wood.   

Papa Matt

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 02:58:55 pm »
Dana, I didn't realize the apple was such a good bow wood. The old man had a nice old apple tree a few years back that had killer apples on it and cut it down. I hated it because I always loved to eat the apples and now I hate it even more because he burned a lot of good wood then too, eh.

~~Matt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 03:03:31 pm »
Apple is tough wood, I have a stave drying I hope to try this winter, Its an ugly stave but it was free eh :)

Manistique, MI