Author Topic: Mullberry stave, Good for ELB?  (Read 2412 times)

Redbone

Mullberry stave, Good for ELB?
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:24:18 am »
I just picked up a very nice Mullberry stave about 74" x 2" It has about 3/4" of sapwood "white wood" The rings are not very tight on the hardwood, about medium. Question is. Can I leave the sapwood as a backing like on Yew wood? I should be able to follow a ring on the sapwood without any violation of the rings. Would this hold up for a english bow up to 70#?. Or do I need to just take the sapwood off and stick to the hardwood?

Thanks,

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Mullberry stave, Good for ELB?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:29:22 am »
I would not use the Sapwood....I have never seen a case where it did not check and crack into the Heartwood when left on....at least that has been my experiences with the Sapwood..it cracked just like sapwood on Osage does.....Mulberry Heartwood will make a nice ELB though
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:24 am »
I have used mulberry sapwood with good results. I have made bows of almost all sapwood, about half and half and with just a ring or 2 left for a backing. If you know the sapwood is sound and was cared for properly, it will be fine on your bow...especially with a bow that is 72" long.
   If you do leave some sapwood on, you bow will be a bit thicker than if it is just heartwood.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:09 pm »
I have made a couple ELBs from mulberry with a couple rings of sapwood left on. Never had any problem at all with checking or cracking. After they age awhile, they look a lot like a yew elb. Mulberry seems to work well in this design.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:58:53 pm »
Guess I did something wrong then...mine all checked on me....maybe I should have left the Bark on...or sealed the Backs...... ???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »
If I remove bark from any wood I seal the back. Some say it isn't necessary on whitewoods(I consider cherry a bow making white wood) but I seal it all. It doesn't take but a minute and good wood is hard to come by.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:15:16 pm »
I agree Pat I mostly have white wood and I seal it all, better safe than sorry eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Redbone

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »
Thanks Gentlemen...Sapwood it is!  And El destructo don't worry your luck is probably like mine!
Thanks for all the feedback and info. I will be making shaving's this weekend.