Author Topic: Snake it????  (Read 2620 times)

whitewoodshunter

Snake it????
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:43:26 am »
I have a bamboo backed hickory bow I've have for a couple of ears that I glued up with Bow Grip 100. Recently the lamination started to fail. I fixed it with sinew, but now the beauty of the bow is gone. Would it be ok to glue on some snake skin to help cover the sinew?

Offline sailordad

Re: Snake it????
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:22:38 am »
i dont see why snake skins wouldnt work

a couple of questions though: when you glued up the stave you said you used bow grip 100, did you cure it in a heat box?

next question: when did you notice the delamination,was it after sitting in a hot car or the like for an extended amount of time?

only ask because i have recently glued up the same combo with the same glue.just curious

thanks

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 01:59:56 pm »
I didn't use a heat box.They said I didn't need one. I heated the glue and applied it. I let it dry next to a wood burner furnace.the bow shoot fine and is real hard hitting.The bow was stored on a bow wrack in my bedroom, with an even temp.The bow is 66 ntn and 60 lbs at 26. And man does it shoot fast!!!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:13:12 pm »
Snakeskins cover up sinew beautifully, but I'm not so sure you'd want to glue to the rind side of bamboo - have read that most glues will not adhere to the boo. I'm a man of no experience in that area - somebody around here will know.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Adam Keiper

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:47:07 pm »
The thing that I understand with epoxies is that they should ideally be cured in a hot box as it creates a stronger joint and since the glue begins to soften at the temp it cured at. (ie; beware hot cars)

Snakeskins will work fine over the boo, but you'll have to scrape the rind off of it.  Glues tend not to stick to the waxy rind.  I'm finishing a bow now, in fact, with snakeskins over the boo.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 03:06:41 pm »
The bamboo backing was flat planed. Like the stuff for flooring.The whole bow was finished with spray on lacquer.