Author Topic: selfbow  (Read 11570 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: selfbow
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:35:32 am »
Nice job James,you do some fine work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:10 am »
I'm no judge of the holmie style but that bow is down right purty James. Glad to see you posting your bows.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 08:14:43 am »
That's a really good looking bow James! I'm glad you're getting involved here...your experience will be very welcome! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 09:41:13 am »
Fine lookin Holmie James, glad to see ya around too - your work is inspirational :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 11:27:22 am »
beautiful!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pamunkey

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 12:42:22 pm »
Beautiful bow- what are the dimensions?  I've been thinking of making one myself, but I've been a little intimidated by the tillering.

Will

Offline woodenwonder

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 01:25:45 pm »
Nice, that style of bow made from yew. I'ld like to know how fast it shoots. Gary

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 09:48:17 pm »
James - I missed this one (camping, I guess).   Great use for yew and what a fine bow. Got you bookmarked for August Self Bows of the Month!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 11:20:37 am »
This is a revelation to me, James, since I am working on a Holmegaard type, even as we speak. I love the look of yours. Mine looks like it might at least be headed that way  ;D. Since my Holmi is only my third bow, I don't think I will try to go as small/flexible in the "non-working" outter linbs/tips as you did but it shows me an idea of just how far I could go, if push came to shove, and still have a fine looking bow.  It also reminds me I still have a lot further to go with them, in any case - LOL. Of course I still have a lot of "thickness" to take off my working limb sections as well. Being I am working from a tough ol'  Hickory stave, I am working my "puny" little arms and shoulders to death  :-[ - wish i had even half of your "hammers" now -  :D I gotta go "chew" on it some more, right now!
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2008, 11:27:27 am »
The way I have made mine and in the words of Tim Baker is to let the last six inches bend just enough to know you have got rid of all the outer mass as possible. It is scarry how narrow you can make the outer tips, and mine has zero hand shock. Beautiful bow James, glad to see you posting, I know we can all learn lots from you.
                                                                                                                                                          Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
 Simply Awesome ;)  I've always wondered about that style on yew.  Looks like it would smoke an arrow. Congratulations, you did great.

Offline cracker

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »
I'm completely satisfied go ahead and ship it to........
R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 07:29:05 pm »
Excellent job, James.  What an awesome looking bow.  I loved it from the beginning.  Great work!!

Dan

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:34 pm »
Awesome holmie tiller! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 04:46:34 am »