Author Topic: second osage - permang. finish  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Postman

second osage - permang. finish
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:36:57 pm »
This is  my second osage, made for my nephew, who invites me trout fishing every spring up in Pennsylvania.  60" NTN 63# at 27'', 1 1/2 wide (top flare  a little fatter) to 3/8'' Also has  assymetrical limbs. Followed the string a bit, but it does seem easier to shoot than my first effort at 56#. Had some problems with the lower limb, especially below the lower dip, but it shoots good even with a bare handlle.  I'll help him lace or wrap it - we may have to shave the handle and re-do it after we see how it feels. He's a wheelie guy (FOR NOW... >:D) so I have to re-teach him how to shoot. If he wasn't twice my size, I'd start by chucking his release and his compound into the river we fish.....  :D

Used potassium Permanganate to color the bow. Found q-tips worked well to apply it - a little dab'l do ya...had to lightly re-sand and re-do areas that oxidized  to much - can't leave a "drop" in an area too long or it will darken too much there, (as you can see on the arrow plate's end grain). Glad that happened, though,  because I noticed that light sanding on the edges really highlighted the bow's shape, so I "edged" the whole thing. Finished with a coat of tung and  several coats of gloss, then satin,  Poly.  Learned a lot on this bow, as my first wasn't solo, it was in a class taught by the guy that made that awesome flint/sinew/cane arrow you see there - that will be a gift for another nephew, an anthropology major. Thanks for looking,

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline cracker

Re: second osage - permang. finish
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »
Good looking bow I especially like the finish It make it look like it has been around awhile which I like.
R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:52:23 pm »
Nice lookin bow, that bottum limb could bend better, but hey if it shoots well, what the heck huh.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:35:50 pm »
I think you've got a bit of a hinge in that bottom limb, just past the riser. The top limb is bending very nice, but the outer 2/3s of that bottom limb is very stiff. If it was me, i'd retiller that bottom limb so it bends like the top limb. Otherwise, a nice job!

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:50:36 pm »
Really neat color for Osage. Good looking bow. One thing about it , it should never get a fungal infection with the Potassium Permanganate applied to it. ;D

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:53:24 pm »
I think you've got a bit of a hinge in that bottom limb, just past the riser. The top limb is bending very nice, but the outer 2/3s of that bottom limb is very stiff. If it was me, i'd retiller that bottom limb so it bends like the top limb. Otherwise, a nice job!

Thanks- i was worried doing so might make it considerably weaker than the top, but after looking at it again , and shooting it just now,  I don't think that's the case, plus the weight hasn't dropped like I feared. Should still be abe to keep it around 50. 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:56:59 pm »
The full draw does it for me. Nice bow and bookmarked for August Self BOM, #25!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:41:50 am »
Interesting look from the PP, the bottom limb does look a bit hingy but it could be the angle of the picture ???
I would round the edges of the handle a bit more also, other than that a nice bow :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI