Author Topic: Primitive BowMakers  (Read 2503 times)

Offline agd68

Primitive BowMakers
« on: August 18, 2008, 03:33:57 pm »
What do you think our ancient brethren made their bows from: seasoned staves or made from green wood then dried ? Working seasoned wood with stone age gear would be a @#$#@.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline richpierce

Re: Primitive BowMakers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:08:30 pm »
I bet they shaped them close to bow size from green wood then continued to shape them as the wood seasoned and did final tiller when seasoned.  I have been able to take staves from green to shooting in a month and I don't know the tricks they likely used. 

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:24:02 pm »
Ive made primitive bows from green to dry in one day. Not seasoned but dried over a fire. Kind of like extreme heat treating . I think that some might have used this method?

David

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:49:12 pm »
Ive made primitive bows from green to dry in one day. Not seasoned but dried over a fire. Kind of like extreme heat treating . I think that some might have used this method?

David

i'll bet they did that in a survival ( like every day wasnt bad enough ) type situation when their bow was damaged or lost in a hunt/battle situation.
that way they would still be able to hunt and fend for themselves while they were making another one the long way by shaping and letting the stave cure/dry naturally.

jmho

peace,
                                                               tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:50:10 pm »
IMO, ancient bowmakers preferred to work with seasoned wood....and some wood, like yew, is easily worked when dry.  Green wood is actually hard to work with if you don't have a good cutting tool (like a steel blade). Flint blades are very sharp, but their edges are jagged.....making it hard to get a smooth surface on wood.  A seasoned piece of wood can be "sanded" with a course stone to remove the tool marks but a green piece of wood gets "fuzzy" in most cases.

I've read an account that stated that NA's living in dry climates preferred to work on staves cut from dead trees....because mold was not a problem.

In humid climates, I imagine the NA's cut green wood and seasoned them in their lodges before tillering them.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr