Author Topic: Nock tip size  (Read 3117 times)

monkeyball

Nock tip size
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »
Hi everybody, I am somewhat new to self-bows,I have shot a few in the past,have some staves in the cellar but have never completely finished a bow.This spring I traded a recurve for an Osage self-bow that I have been trying to get consistent with for this archery season.My question is concerning the size of the nock tips and how they affect performance. My bow has antler overlays that to me seem bigger than what they would need to be. I see a lot of your bows on here that have really nice graceful overlays on the tips.To give you an idea of what mine is like, picture a big peanut shell cut in half then glued to the tip.It just looks as though it could be taken down in size with the amount of material that is already there. Any advice would be very appreciated.
                                                                                                                                                      Thanks,Craig

Offline kayakfisher

Re: Nock tip size
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:44:39 pm »
a pictire is worth a thousand words  if you can
                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

monkeyball

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:07:22 pm »
Dennis,at the moment I do not have the camera to put pictures on.They are 5/8"w- 1/4"h-1 1/2"l  That is just the overlays.Hope that might help.   Craig

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:26:43 pm »
The tips sound a bit long but not uncommon. Smaller tips won't make that bow more consistant, maybe give it better manners, but that won't help you shoot it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:52:29 pm »
You can probably reduce the tips and overlays without much difficulty...if you take your time! ;) That will give you a bit better performance and less hand shock...but like Dano said it won't make it more consistent...that is up to you...and properly spined arrows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Far East Archer

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:16:48 am »
Hmm, it sounds good, but I must say, it is kind of wide.
I make my tips 3/8" wide normally, sometimes 1/4".

Can you give us the dimensions of the osage at that some area?
Maybe the thickness and width 6" from the tip and at the tip?

This will determine if it is ok to reduce the width down more.

Alex

monkeyball

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:51:50 am »
6" from the tip it measures 7/8" wide by 7/16" thick

monkeyball

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:13:57 pm »
Thanks guys for the advice,I know the consistency comes from behind the bow more than the bow itself.If anyone else has any advice I would I would love to hear it.   Thanks,Craig