Author Topic: elm stave advice- how to prep and season?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline richpierce

elm stave advice- how to prep and season?
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:39:42 am »
I found 3 elm saplings at our local park where the township stacks trees they cut so folks can use them for firewood.  They run about 2.5-4" in diameter and are reasonably straight, relatively few knots etc.  I peeled the bark (tough work as they had been sitting a while) and underneath were small worm diggings, right at the inner bark/sapwood border.

First order of business is how to season elm, as I have never worked it for a bow.  I split a lot of it for firewood- tough work.
Seal the ends?  Split the saplings now (will cut them with circular saw in half if I must)?  Seal the backs or not likely to check?

thanks,
rp
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:15:52 pm by richpierce »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: elm stave advice- how to prep and season?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
I would split them now, if you try to leave them round, they will split themselves as they dry-better for you to control where they split. I woud seal the back (and ends) on any summer cut wood. Elm isn't that bad to check, but I had an unsealed summer-cut elm stave check really badly once.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
Just be sure the wood was recently cut. It doesn't take long for fungi to invade whitewoods especially.
  I haven't used elm much so others will have to give you more info about it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:18:51 pm »
I've used elm (cedar elm) that grows here in Texas....cut in the spring.  I remove the bark the same day, split into staves (much easier when green), seal the ends with wood glue.  The next day I rough out the bows and steam bend/straighten if needed. Then set them aside to dry.

I've not had a problem with checking.....and elm dries fairly quickly.  I think the tech sheets on kiln drying state that elm can stand up to higher than average temps during the drying process.

The worm problem gets pretty bad on some logs...so you might want to steam the staves (to kill hidden worms) even if you don't plan on bending them. ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:22:26 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 02:33:11 pm »
Thanks, guys, will get at splitting and sealing tonight.