Author Topic: osage bow  (Read 5354 times)

ThimoS

Re: osage bow
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 10:21:55 pm »
Jamie have you gone all out stone-age?

jamie

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 08:23:49 am »
thanks fellas. thimos i have no desires to work with steel anymore. when i do i feel like im cheating. nothing against it . i just get lost with the stones . its sort of a meditation for me now. i really enjoy seeing how they work and trying to learn new techniques with them. i stilll prefer to use unhafted tools. i find them easier plus when it dulls out i just grab another chunk. turned my bandsaw on the other day and the bearings were seized from sitting. normally i would of been upset. i thought it was a good sign ;)

ill see if i can get some better pics this weekend. my camera crapped out on me :P

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:52 am »
Nice bow..All stone tool's..wow..

David

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42:08 am »
Great bow Jamie, especially with stone! I've always wondered about chasing a back ring with stone on osage or locust. Was that hard to do with stone?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 11:45:59 pm »
Jamie
That is one sweet bow. ;D  I really have  to give the stone tools a go.  How much weight can a dogbane string take?
Traverse City, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:29 am »

impressive bow!
hope for more details!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:55 am »
Inspirational !!!!......more pics ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

jamie

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:00 am »
the stave was givin to me by a friend who has a camp in pa. so yeah chasing a dry ring with stones wasnt easy . luckily there was a good ring close to the sapwood. aside from roughing it out the tillering wasnt that hard. the stone do a great job of scraping down the much denser wood. i found that a very steep edge on the stone worked much better on osage than on the softer woods. a shallower edge on white wood cuts and scrapes but on the osage it sort of shatters and looses its edge quickly. on the other hand a steep edge on wide wood tends to chatter like a spoke shave at the wrong angle.

rick dogbane can definetly hold its own . its as good as linen. rough material doesnt last as long as a string made of plys. im going to take some time and really process the fibers and spin them on a drop spindle into finer string and then make the bowstring. i think i could get a string as thin as dacron . when you come up we will rough out some bows together . that is the hardest part of the process and its really not that difficult. we have plenty of 3" trees that we can take at the club. peace

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:29 am »
good to see you around agian Jamie. great job with the bow. im impressed.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.