Author Topic: handels, handels  (Read 2097 times)

woody

handels, handels
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I was just thinking about handle designs on some upcoming bows of mine.  I wanted to do a center shot feature with a dished out handle, but I thought that might not be "primitive" enough…then I really got to thinking!  :)

Why wouldn't earlier archers (pre-modern era) have used a center shot/dished out handle?  

If these two features were all they had to do to improve their shots, then why didn't they use them?  They would not have suffered from want of artificial, man-made components because those items do not figure into the handle design…there is only wood removal to consider.

I know that it is more work with hand tools (especially stone) and that the design could be a potential weak point in the bow, but doesn't a center shot improve consistency from shot to shot since differences in spine are not as critical, and doesn't a dished out handle ensure consistent hand placement on the bow, also improving accuracy and consistency?  

The BIG question I have now is…when did the use of this sort of handle design become prevalent in archery and who started to figure it out?  Am I completely wrong, and it has been in use longer than I think?

Forgive me if these questions are ignorant, but I don't know much about shooting history.  Also, if you can, please show pics of your favorite handle design(s) when you post a reply.  I am not necessarily looking for a discussion on what does and does not constitute "primitive"… although, feel free to discuss if you think it will help answer the questions on the table.  

Thanks!

woody   p.s. I posted this topic in the "Shooting and Hunting" forum as well.  Not sure were to put it.  

Offline Kegan

Re: handels, handels
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:03:29 pm »
I don't think they're all their cracked up to be.  I much rpefer simple D bows, bordering on ELB lately. Besides being much easier to tiller and construct, they are also much more conservative on mateirals. A center shot bow would have to about 1 5/8" thick or so, which means a slightly larger stave.  Also, I've shot unspined arrows from wide handled D bows and, at ranges under 50-60 yards, they perform fine. Accuracy can be helped by increasing shaft weight also.

The amount of time that would go itno it wouldn't be beneficial enough to justify it. But that's just my bias ;D. Sorry no pics yet :P.