Author Topic: drawknife  (Read 2592 times)

Offline adb

drawknife
« on: July 26, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »
Hi, All
I've acquired several decent staves of yew, and plan on some warbows. I need a drawknife, and I'm wondering what's best? Straight blade, curved blade? 6" or 9"? Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Dano

Re: drawknife
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:39:48 pm »
I have a 10" straight knife I like to use. I got mine at McMaster Carr, but I bet you can find a cheaper knife, check the flea matkets.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:48:44 pm »
For debarking yew I'd recommend a 6 to 8" knife since this is a fairly light/precision application.  I prefer a straight blade although it doesn't make much difference.  Try and get one that isn't pitted, especially on the bottom side of the blade.  You'll want a fairly low angle on the blade so it'll act more like a knife and less like a wedge/chisel.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:15:32 am »
I got mine on e-b-ay for like 40 shipped for two.  I have one straight and one curved.  I use the staight for tillering and scraping flatbows, and the curved for everything else.  Curved seems to cut better when getting off stubborn sapwood.
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:41:37 am »
Thanks, guys.

radius

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:01:41 am »
where'd ya get the yew?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:33:50 pm »
I have a big straight blade drawknife but my favorite is a duck decoy knife.  I got it from Lee Valley Tools.  It is about 6" long with a 1" wide blade.  It works great for when you are getting close to the ring you want.  Also great for debarking whitewoods.
Traverse City, MI