Author Topic: ? on Native bows  (Read 4392 times)

Offline n2everythg

? on Native bows
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:27:14 am »
I have a question for y'all.
I was re-reading Thoms 'children of first man'. Pretty good read. anyway I came across something I think was just the product of the authors imagination but it got me to thinking.
He was talking about some indian inthe book that had a bow with a flint point on the end. kinda like a spear/bow combo.
Sounded like a pretty cool / useful weapon. spear when unbraced bow otherwise.
started to think about how it could be done or whether or not it really had ever been done.
Anybody ever see or hear of historical ref to any tribes that may have done something like this?

Seems as though it would not be vary practical tho. even if a small blade it would add significant weight to the tip. would probably fly off when shot. Not to mention the issues of 'splitting the end of a bow to insert the point. Even if you made the knock lower on the stave to give room to haft a blade or reinforced it some how.

Thinking it was just the product of the authors imagination and lack of knowledge of bows but what do y'all think?
N2

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Papa Matt

Re: ? on Native bows
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:19:21 am »
Don't know whether it was ever done or not, but I agree with you. I wouldn't even want to attempt it because surely the risks and disadvantages would far outweigh the benefits.

~~Matt

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:00 am »
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.  There is a museum piece that has an iron point in one limb, perhaps to be used as a club
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline uwe

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:01:26 pm »
No, its not imagination by the author! Look at my picture. Carl Bodmer painted this in early 19th century, while he travelled with "Prinz zu Wied" through North America. The prince was a wide looking man, who wanted to see the natives as they were. He looked into the future and saw that the white man would destroy theit lives and culture...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:03:16 pm »
Forgot a word: somewhere I read that it was only used in ceremonies?

Papa Matt

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:57 pm »
That's what I was going to say too. From what I've read historically on native american archery, some bows were "medicine bows" and used for ceremony, and not actual use. Another example of this are bows the buffalo hunters made out of pure rib, or horn, with no wood at all.

In the movie Dances With Wolves, there is a long (looks like 5-6 feet) skinny bow in the medicine man (Kicking Bird)'s tipi. It is somewhat decorated and I believe can be seen at one other time in the movie. Check it out and see if you see what I'm talking about.

~Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:39:21 pm »
After a little research, I learned that among the Lakota, the bow-lance was a powerful symbol among warrior societies.  Only one bow-lance existed in each society and was carried by the "lance-bearer": a warrior who was expected to lead in combat, expose himself to danger, and stand his ground (to the death, if necessary).  The modern equivalent would be akin to "the colors" or battle flag among military units.

The bow lance was actually a lance shaped like a bow...and was not strung...or used to shoot arrows.  It could be (and was) used as a lance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:46:25 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:52:01 pm »
Lokota.....decorated with eagle feathers.  About 47" long?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:47:19 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:10:31 pm »
Yep, check out the movie. That's what Kicking Bird had.

~Matt

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
Reginald Laubin mentioned those in his book American Indian Archery. He agreed that they were ceremonial.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 06:59:24 pm »
"DANCES WITH WOLVES"

one of my most fav movies,never really noticed the lance bow. i guess i'll watch  the directors cut and pay real close attention.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd