Author Topic: reflex/deflex  (Read 3047 times)

sammydeere

reflex/deflex
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:55 am »
As some of you can tell I'm very new to this message board and am quite interested in this traditional stuff.  I just purchased and read my first issue of primitive archer magazine from cover to cover.  I also (within the last month) purchased and read the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol. 1.  I have learned an amazing amount about geometry, string angles, lengths, tillering etc.  but I still could not find what the heck deflex/reflex means.  I think I undnerstand recurving but I still don't know, nor did I see it explained what a reflexed limb or a deflexed limb is.  Any help anyone would have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.  I have already cut/debarked/ and split into staves, a fine ash tree about 8" in diameter that is now drying nicely in my shop.  Any pointers for my first unbacked selfbow would be greatly appreciated.  Love this site.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: reflex/deflex
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:52:09 am »
Reflex is the limb bending away from the belly,or if you are holding the bow away from the holder.
Deflex is just the opposite it will bend toward the belly or shooter.Reflex is usually better as far as performance goes.  :) Hope this helps. Gald to have you on board. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52:54 am »
What Pappy said.  Reflex/Deflex is a combination of the two.  Usually a R/D bow will bend toward the shooter at the handle or just outside for maybe the first half of the limb then will reflex away from the shooter. Here is a link to a R/D bow RyanO made. Notice the second picture down the profile of the middle picture. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7115.0.html
 Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

sammydeere

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:33:37 am »
Thank-you very much pappy and justin!  I wish that book had a glossary in it.  that seems like a fairly simple concept to understand and the photos help.  Does one go about getting reflex in a bow by picking staves that naturally have a bend in them and makeing that the back of the bow or do most people steam them in.  Sorry for the beginner questions.
Sam

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:18 am »
Reflex and R/D designs are used to enhance performance. All else being equal, a reflexed limb will store more energy, thereby improving cast. R/D bows are a bit harder to make and tiller, but they're very sweet in the hand, with little or no handshock, and are very fast.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:41:46 am »
A real weakness in TBBI is the lack of a glossary >:(
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:21 pm »
Sometimes ,if you are lucky you can find one natural,but most of mine I bend either with steam or dry heat.  :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 05:32:47 pm »
or you can glue it in when doing a laminated bow ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:28:36 am »