Author Topic: seasoning help  (Read 2588 times)

Offline newknapper

seasoning help
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:12:40 am »
Hi guys this is my first post on here, I went today and gatherd some wood I got a log of dogwood that is about 8' long (or longer) and 8 to 6" in diameter also got 4 main trunks from wild plum trees between 5 1/2' to 6' in length and 2 to 3" in width my question is about the plum whats the best way to season it? I have read it likes to check badly and twist

Offline sailordad

Re: seasoning help
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:20:01 am »
send it to me,i'll season it for ya ;D

i been looking for wild plum or wild apple or any wild fruit tree,all i can find are these ones in peoples back yards all over town,heck one guy down the block has a pear tree.
i really like the limbs on the tree,wish a strom would knock it down for me.

hang on there brother,some one with knowledge should be along shortly

peace,
                                                                                          tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:44:13 am »
Never season wild plum, but I have season service berry in that size, I pulled the bark and sealed the whole stave in 2 coats of shellac, seems to be fine,
you could als strip the bark and bandsaw one side off and then seal the whole thing back and belly. Seal the dogwood also I bet it checks easily also being so hard.

Tim learn to identify service berry its a very hard dense wood.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:37 am »
What Dana said on plum and dogwood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:37:17 am »
Split it at least in half (or saw the smaller ones.) A whole round log will take forever to season, plus it's almost impossible to keep it from checking in the round. You might want to tie that plum down to something, the only plum stave I've cut so far twisted up like a petrified snake as it dried.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:40:22 am »
thanks guys, I am gonna split the dogwood today

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:51 pm »
Plum.....Man I am so jealous.  I've been looking for some everywhere.  Good luck with it. I've seen pictures of some plum bows.  They looked awesome.
Traverse City, MI

Offline newknapper

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
Here is my haul, this is the first time splitting staves from a log and i got a couple things to learn. I managed to get one good looking stave from th tree, the longest plum is the one on the left its about 80" and has 4" of natural reflex..