Author Topic: SHORT ELM BOW  (Read 8029 times)

Offline benjamin

Re: SHORT ELM BOW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 01:41:44 pm »
Here's another one that I cut thinking it was elm;... turned out to be basswood about 35 SG. Same dimentions as the the elm bow. Got it pulled back to 25'' a couple of times, then when I inspected the belly, there were M-A-S-S-I-V-E cracks everywhere going through the belly and 3/4 of the way up both sides!!! Here she is at 20''. Ended up with 1 1/2''  of follow after being dried with 3'' reflex.  String is paracord.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:16:01 pm »
wow man im sufprised you got that far with basswood! i did a basswood thinking it was ash once ::) anyhow it even had a nice sinew back and everything. *KABLOOIE* right a 15".

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 10:43:38 pm »
It was a fun experiment even though it didn't work out. My tree identification skills are horrible but hey, life's more exciting.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 11:51:57 am »
WOW,

you did that with basswood? incredible.

all the basswood around here is so soft thatifn you made a bow from it, the first time you pulled it. it would probably stay in the shape it was in at fulldraw.

i dont know if this will help ya identify the two,the elms taht we have here in mn all have flat round seeds,the basswoods have round seeds,about the size of a bb,and when they are dry and you step on them they make a popping sound.

dang i stiil cant believe you did that with basswood

peace
                                                                                      tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 07:23:49 am »
Great looking bow,tiller looks good .Nice job.Congrats on that one you should enjoy it.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 07:34:09 am »
Fine looking bow, Benjamin. You nailed the tiller, that's exactly the way I like the bendy-handled bows to look, especially the Eastern woodlands D-bows with the heavy tips. If you get too much of a full arc bending through the handle, that's when they start jarring your teeth out and taking a bunch of set.  :) Great job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 01:00:01 pm »
Thanks everybody. I unfortunately had to retire the bow due to all of the cracks along the belly. A few of them were less than 1mm away from the back so it would have blown soon. At least the elm  bow turned out nice. Still my favorite bow to shoot.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 01:06:17 pm »
That's a really nice looking bow! Nice job.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!