Author Topic: presenting bow to tribe (s) (no pics)  (Read 2951 times)

Offline snedeker

presenting bow to tribe (s) (no pics)
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:05 am »
I am going to start excavating a big archy site in central Delaware soon, and a couple Native American Tribes are involved in the legal process of mitigating the sites -- interested parties under a memorandum of agreement with the DOT.   Delaware Muncee, Stockbridge (live in WI now) and probably Nanticoke of southern DE.   YA know, they'll visit the excavations, etc., there will be  a speech or two...

I am working on a couple of eastern Woodland bows that I thought would be nice to present to the tribal elders who attend.  An ash 60"er and a hickory 68"er. I am wondering about how to politely do this. Is it the right thing to do in the first place? Might it be insulting?  How to intitiate the topic "Hey Cheif, here's a bow"?   I'm mindful of the Sienfeld episode in which Jerry asks the Asian dude on the street where to find a good chinese restaurant.

Dave ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: presenting bow to tribe (s) (no pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:40:51 pm »
Dave, That is a cool idea and I'm sure it will be appreciated. You could present it as your attempt to copy their style of bow and present it as a gift to them as such. I would think they would appreciate your gesture. Just don't ask them where a good pemmican restaurant could be found! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:52 pm »
I think it is a kind gesture and I'm sure they will see it the same way. 'I've been working on a gift for you. I hope you like this bow." Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:30:31 pm »
heck ya that we be sweet.

ifn someone came up to me and said "i've been working on this gift for you,hope you like this bow"

i know i would be grateful and appreciative of the gift.

go for it, i think they will love the gesture.

peace,
                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »
Dave, I'd just present the bows in the spirit they are intended, and I think they will be honored. It will not be bad to build a little birdge betwen cultures, too. And your archeological work, I imagine, is also a knowledge birdge that we all benefit from, Native and Non-Native.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Badbill

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:28:25 am »
Well, as a member of the Lower Sioux Indian Community, and a former Council member, I can tell you this. WHERE'S MINE! oops!  ;) Uhm, what I meant to say was I think they will love both the gift and the gesture. It is a real nice thought. In the Dakota tribes We give out Star blankets. You can buy them, but we only give them to the people that we love. If their culture is anything like ours the gift will be well taken.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:08:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice. It should be cool. I'll get some pics.  It will a while.

Dave

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:34:42 pm »
Cool. :)

I've got a friend who asked me to make a NA style archery set for his father.  (They have Native American ancestry).  Anyway, I made the set (Comanche style)  just in time for father's day and his Dad LOVES it.  But when I met him for the first time a few days ago...he said what he really wants is a war bonnet...and asked me if I could make him one to go along with the archery set!

If I were you, I think I would ask one of the elders, "I make primitive archery stuff, and I was thinking of making an Eastern Woodlands bow for you...would that be OK?  Also, is there a specific style that you would prefer?"  I think asking first would be respectful and ensure that the gift is well received.  Whatcha think?

PS.  Anyone got any ideas on where to find a good book/video on war bonnets of Plains Indians?  The good ones seem to be out of print or sold out.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:42:58 pm »
Email Bob......Coo Wah Chobee ....  he would know how not to step on Toes.....What would be proprer...and what would be concidered Taboo... I am part Ojibwe but was not raised Anishinaabe.... you need someone that is up on all Traditions....and I agree with Jackcrafty...it would be Courteous to Ask abead of time....in Private.....

I know among Ojibwe....Quillwork is a traditional Gift .....along with Beadwork ..........good luck
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 02:00:19 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome