Author Topic: tips and riser advice.  (Read 3535 times)

Offline recurve shooter

tips and riser advice.
« on: July 02, 2008, 07:16:16 pm »
i know basicly how to do it, and i know this is kind of an ignernt question, but sence its gonna go to my dad, i want to make it the best i can. so, for my TINY little riser im gonna add and my tips, i have acces to cypress, cow jaws, and a home depot. what kind of wood etc would look best on a red oak bow? thanx for your time.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tips and riser advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:06:20 pm »
For overlays you want a hard substance like bone, horn or hard wood. For a riser you can use almost anything. Does the bow bend through the handle? If so you will need to either use leather, cork or other flexible material so it will bend with the bow. If you don't the riser will pop off.  Actually leather saturated with super glue makes a nice looking tip overlay.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:16:07 pm »
thanx. i dont know if i have any leather, but i'll come up with something. hopefully i'll be able to post pics soon.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:26 pm »
 Trey, if you can wait a little bit I'll throw you some stuff in the box with the camera.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
shure, dont matter to me. and once again, i really apreciate it mullet. (dont know yer real name. :P)
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »
  Uhh, do you step on many snakes? ::) My name is in my post.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:43:10 pm »
Pat... leather and superglue - I'm intrigued.  do they hold up for long?  Sounds like a neat idea - I could stack different colors and it would form fit to the curve even - no need to cut into the wood to match up.  maybe??  Hmm, I might give it a try.  Definitely'd be interested in how you do it (glue on then soak superglue, vice versa?), what they look like when done and how they hold up.  Thanks for the idea. -Mike

For overlays you want a hard substance like bone, horn or hard wood. For a riser you can use almost anything. Does the bow bend through the handle? If so you will need to either use leather, cork or other flexible material so it will bend with the bow. If you don't the riser will pop off.  Actually leather saturated with super glue makes a nice looking tip overlay.        Pat
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 03:47:59 pm »
Mike, quite a few guys glue a piece of leather or rawhide on to build it up or make it a little softer on the hand. I believe gordon did it on his buildalong bow.  You still have to add a handle wrap. The handle wrap will wear out long before the stuff under it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:30:59 pm »
mullet, beleave it or not sence i decided to start cureing the hides and useing them to trade (or give away to people who help me out  ;)), in like 2 months the only thing i have found is a 10 inch copper head. not any good. but trust me, i have an eye out for em.
lets just shoot it