Author Topic: chrysals after Belly Tempering ! How to remove ?  (Read 5234 times)

Offline uhu

chrysals after Belly Tempering ! How to remove ?
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:36 pm »
Hi folks,

I have been tempering the Belly of my 3 year old 39# Hickory ELB. Through the years it had reached a set of nearly 4" and it was no real fun anymore shooting it.

Everything went well so far. The set was gone, the weight went about 5# higher, and the tiller did not change. But as the bow cooled down and started to rehydrate, on three spots at the belly I saw chrysals similar to that you can see from compression when your tillering has gone wrong.

Why ist this so ? I thougt with tempering the belly is stretched and not compressed.

And how can I prevent the limbs from collapsing ? Can I do some Binding ? and with which material should I work ?

Thanks for hints

uhu

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: chrysals after Belly Tempering ! How to remove ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:58 pm »
   Sounds like it's toast to me. I did the same thing with a hickory recurve, and it just got worse.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
Sounds like the damage was already there(with 4" of set) and it just showed up after you toasted it. Hickory isn't the best choice for an ELB (although I have seen some very nice ones) because it is weaker in compression than is necessary for that style bow. A wide flat bow would be more appropriate.
   There is nothing that you could do to fix this bow IMO. Sounds like it is time to start another.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline uhu

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 12:55:54 pm »
well mullet and Pat B,

could be that there was a damage before. It didn`t get that brown like you see in several howtos and buildalongs. So I didn`t think it was the strong heat.

But the chrysals are in sections that do bend evenly and do not seem to be much weaker than the neighbourwood.
4" of set is much, but it built up through a period of 3 Years and really a lot of shooting.

For a long time it was my only bow and anyhow it is still my lovely one.
For starting a new there is always time. There is no need to retire another one.
I would like to repair it if possible.

uhu

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:59:09 pm »
A raw hide patch and sinew wrap over the affected area(s) might do the trick!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:06:45 pm »
If you have time...you can flatten the belly and laminate a strip of new wood to the belly, and then re-tiller.  I would use the same type of wood as the rest of the bow.

If it was my bow, I would retire it....or shoot it until it broke.  It's been said that all bows will break eventually. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline uhu

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:21:19 pm »
@ Pat B and Jackrafty,

then I will do both. I Will patch it with rawhide and sinew and then shoot it till it breaks.

Thanks uhu

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:31:21 pm »
 8) ;D ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:32:00 am »
uhu, I would flatten the belly and glue on a strip of hickory in a reflex. If you have a non- bending handle area, then I'd just glue on billet size strips to each side of the handles and tiller. I can't see any pictures ???  Also, to your question about what has gone wrong; IMO, I think a combination of shooting and heat treating for so long has just broken down the wood cells, not unlike a weight lifter takeing steroids. The muscle part of the body or wood can only take so much.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:35:58 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline uhu

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 07:05:46 am »
Hi mullet,

I tried, to take some pictures, but you only can see wood, but no chrysals on them, so I avoided to post them. Perhaps it is a godd sign when you can`t see them on photos  ;)

Flattening and glueing on a Facing is to much effort for me. Then it will be a completely different bow. I simply wanted to repair it. I Think I stay at the solution to put on rawhide strips an to wrap them with sinew.

Otherwise I am building another steroidal Weightlifter at the moment anyway.

Tiller then an thanks for your hints.

uhu