Author Topic: creaking handle?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Lost Arra

creaking handle?
« on: June 14, 2008, 12:12:26 am »
With the help of Keith Bishop (Mojam guru) I spliced two medicore yew billets at Ojam. (my first splicing attempt) There wasn't much thickness so I glued on a handle (pecan).
Having absolutely no confidence in my first splice I wrapped-glued the handle/splice area before tillering.

As I got to about 25" during tillering I've picked up a creaking noise coming from the handle area.
I'm assuming it is at the fades and probably the glued-on handle. The splice looks fine.
If the handle wasn't wrapped I'm guessing the handle would probably pop off even though all glue lines look good and I haven't felt any raised edges.

I'm trying to decide if I should rasp the handle out of the fade area.
I think I can get this bow to 28" but the creaking noise is a little annoying.

Anyone have experience with a "talking" bow? ;D

Offline david w.

Re: creaking handle?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 12:15:23 am »
make sure there is no bend in the handle are or the riser could pop off your bow its happened to me a couple times.

What glue did you splice it with?

i dont have much experience so take it for what its worth
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:22:17 am »
With the wrapping I've got on it the handle isn't going to pop off but I guess it could crack at the fade.

Splice with Urac. The handle is glued on with TB3.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:36:38 pm »
I  had the same problem on a bow ,wrapped with rawhide one area did not have enough glue under the rawhide when bow was drawn rawhide would creak. took exacto knife inserted under rawhinde in that area put glue in took care of creak
                                                                           Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:40:18 pm »
Yes, I have. LOL. The handle piece should sit on top of the handle area and the fade area should progress into the stave itself with no abrupt changes. That's why it could be creaking.  You could pin it with dowels and glue.  Take a scrap piece and drill into it until you find the right bit for your dowel.  Drill from the belly side. Measure and mark the drill bit with several windings of  masking tape so you don't go through all the way. You can also buy a drill stop. Remember that the fade area will need less length so adjust the stop. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:15:01 pm »
Update: Dennis got me thinking about my wrapping. I really didn't want to think about drilling ......yet.
I had used a non-stretch thread (spectra-power pro fishing line) and TB3 to wrap the handle/splice.
I think some of the thread did not get imbedded in the glue but rather than just add more glue I scraped the wrap and glue off the handle.
I replaced it with sinew and hide glue.
I'm going to let this dry for a few days, maybe a week, before I pull it again.
Further updates to follow.

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
Sinew oughta do the trick Bob, I heard somewhere that sinew is MAGIC ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:33:27 am »
MAGIC sounds better than "Bowyers Duct Tape".