Author Topic: heat treating a hinge  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: heat treating a hinge
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 12:29:19 am »
I would remove material from either side of the hinge area to get the limb bending evenly and then reflex and heat treat the whole limb to gain some strength on that side.
We've been over this .....The glue will delaminate from the heat most likely.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

radius

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 12:55:46 am »
you're right we have...
and you're right,....it did :(

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 01:43:31 am »
Often times restraint is our best tool. We learn from our mistakes, pick up another stave and go on. If you leaned something, radius, you should remove the frowny face and replace it with a smiley face. There's still time to edit that lost post. Come on you can do it. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

radius

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 01:46:10 am »
Thanks Jawge...

It was a weird hinge...showed no sign at all,the bow was bending fine...in fact, the hinge came up on what was at first the stiffer limb!  Everything was cool, i had it bending, gradually increased the brace height like i always do...got it up to 6" or so, weighed it with the tillering stick on the scale...and creak!  hinge...!

ah well... ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 01:56:51 am »
radius, proud of ya. :) I mean its not like I ever had a hinge or chrysals form on a bow. LOL. I can remember at least 6. Probably had 4 times that. I've played seesaw tiller too. Fix one limb. The other limb goes off more. Back and forth. Frustrating! Did you say tillering stick? Hmm. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

radius

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 01:59:03 am »
yeah, my setup is pretty hokey, and right now i'm staying at a friend's place.  Next month i'm moving to a place with a shop, and I'll set up a tillering tree there, with a pulley and everything...i'm still trying to catchup to you old pros...coming soon to a tillering tree near you! ::) :P

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 02:03:28 am »
I am old but not a pro bowyer. I am a hobbyist, an amateur. There you go. Rope and pulley is the way to go. I almost became unhinged when you said you were using one of those infernal contraptions. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

radius

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 02:07:27 am »
Jawge, do you remember a couple years ago a stranger who bothered you with a whole bunch of questions about bow making?  That was me...you were like, "Congratulations, you got a bow."  I had the distinct impression that you were also saying, "Quit bothering me."  Maybe you weren't, but i thought you MUST be!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 02:12:46 am »
You must be confusing me with someone else, radius. You can ask me questions anytime you want. Now I did make my living answering chem questions. But I'm retired now. So you can ask bow questions but no chem questions. The only "moles" I deal with now are in my lawn. Night. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

radius

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 02:17:20 am »
no it was you...you may forget, but i don't...i used your website at verizon.net over and over again, and emailed you several times...ah well...night

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 10:34:51 am »
radius, you are probably correct.  I get a lot of emails and questions. Sorry if yI gave you the impression I was uninterested. Ask away. :) Jawge
Set Happens!