Author Topic: Smoking bow and arrow wood?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Smoking bow and arrow wood?
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »
Native Americans hung arrow shafts and bows in their lodges to cure the wood. Has anyone ever heard anything about the effects smoke has on wood properties? Obviously hanging there they were exposed to dry, warm air. But considering the effects smoke has on for example brained tanned buckskin, do you suppose it effects wood elasticity, etc.? Maybe a little silly to suggest it might, on the other hand smoke contains some very reactive chemicals. What do you guys think?
Dave
NW Montana

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Smoking bow and arrow wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:23:03 pm »
As far as I can tell, the Native Americans who lived in humid areas hung their staves and shoots high in their lodges to cure.  I've also read an account of desert-dwelling Indians curing their wood in sweat lodges instead of outdoors in the wind and sun.  I think the idea was to cure the wood in an environment that was not too dry or too humid.

As far as what properties the wood smoke imparts to the wood...hmmmm, good question.  I would think it would make the wood more flamable?  >:D  Seriously, I think that wood smoke has chemicals that help "preserve" the wood rather than making it stronger or weaker.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline David Long

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:32:43 pm »
Well, I know wood smoke has various aldehydes as components. These chemicals react with all manner of things, which is why they act as preservatives- they kill things like bacteria. Take for example formaldehyde. I think they, or other components of smoke, could make wood harder/stiffer/more or less elastic. Someone out there might have entertained this possibility.

Dave
NW Montana

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:37:03 pm »
Bob ( okeechbee or some thing like that) Sorry Bob,from florida has talked about this before and I think he has a pretty strong opinion about its afects. I sure he'll see this thread and post soon.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:51:59 pm »
I'm sure it would probably have some positive effect on it. Smoke can do some amazing things to a lot of different materials ranging from buckskin to country ham, so I would have to guess that it sure couldn't hurt.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:27 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, the primitives also used animal fat, along with the smoke, in their curing process.The combo of the two probably had lots to do with preventing moisture(or excess drying) intake and to protect from insects and fungi. Just a guess on my part.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline David Long

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:23 pm »
That's a good point Pat. Since smoking buckskin has such a dramatic affect on its water resistance, I wonder if once dried and finished a smoked bow or arrow responds differently to changes in humidity.
Dave
NW Montana

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 05:52:12 pm »
Smoke by itself has some waterproofing ability. It also has some formaldehyde in it which will help make hide glue and such water resistant. Don't know if that is why it was done, but....... Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah