Author Topic: How do yall recurve Hickory  (Read 162 times)

Online sleek

How do yall recurve Hickory
« on: July 01, 2024, 03:56:28 am »
I'm giving some serious thought to making a hickory recurve, with sharp hooks. I boil osage to curve it otherwise it likes to crack. What problems does hickory have and how do you deal with it to fleet good recurves?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ajooter

Re: How do yall recurve Hickory
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 08:54:00 am »
I steam and bend sleek.  I put a post out not long ago it's probably on the second page or so.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 09:48:36 am »
I'd say steam or boil hickory for recurves and leave them in the form for a few days then set the recurves with dry heat before removing from the forms.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 11:04:06 am »
I've put curves in a couple of hickory bows.  I soak the tips in water overnight, then steam them for an hour, then bend them onto a form.  Let them sit for at least a day before I remove them from the form, then dry for at least a couple weeks before I start working with them.  I've tried just steaming them without the soak beforehand, and they almost always seem to split.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 11:33:10 am »
I do the foil wrapped steaming followed with a heat gun while bending to make sure it’ll go smoothly. I’ll let it cool and dry off then hit it again with the heat gun giving a good scorch before removing from the form. It’s worked pretty well with minimal issues.

Kyle

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2024, 01:13:32 pm »
Pretty well what I do as well with steam.  Before getting to the point of steaming I will ensure that I’m to one single growth ring on the belly wood at the tips.  This helps with prevent lifting when bending.  I also use a stainless steel band attached to my jig to assist with this too.  This helps with getting tighter bends in hickory.  Like others have said already I also let it sit for a bit till cool then hit it with dry heat to set them.   Best of luck.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com