Author Topic: An oldie surfaces  (Read 237 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

An oldie surfaces
« on: June 25, 2024, 11:49:45 am »
Back in 2008 I donated snake backed osage bow to the ASTB to auction off at their Alabama Children's Hospital benefit tournament.

The guy who won it bought one $1 ticket, some people bought dozens of tickets. The guy was Tony Jetton, he was a top recurve and longbow shooter but this was his first selfbow. I shot with him on his first round with his new bow, there was an elk at 40 yards, Tony being a gap shooter held where he thought this primitive bow would hit and shot 4' over the top of the elk. He was shocked, he turned around and said, " That bow doesn't give up anything to my modern laminated longbow" 

Tony shot the bow in every tournament for the next few years, he shot it almost every day at home as well.

I always told him if he ever hard a "tink" from the bow, stop shooting and let me look at it. About 5 years (just a guess) after he won the bow we were at a tournament when he came over and said "I heard a tink from the bow, what should I do"?

I looked the bow over and couldn't find a thing but a tink is a harbinger of doom for a selfbow. We actually got 4 or 5 guys together to watch Tony draw the bow, we looked for at least 10 minutes and couldn't find a thing. The sunlight was filtering through the trees, a ray of light hit the bow and our friend Scott said " I see, I see it", sure enough, the tiny crack showed up in a ray of light filtering through the trees.

I superglued the crack and put a superglued serving thread wrap over the crack. I told Tony to keep on shooing the bow, if it blew it blew but I had good luck with such wraps in the past. He said he was almost afraid to shoot it because he loved the bow.

My wife died 10 years ago, I dropped out of the tournament circuit and didn't hear any more about the bow until Tony posted a picture of himself coming in second in the IBO Worlds selfbow class, he was shooting the bow. Tony is on the left, ironically the guy on the right in third place liked Tony's bow so much he wanted me to make a twin of it for him, Nolan came in third with his twin bow.

I didn't hear about the bow for at least 10 years; yesterday Tony posted a picture of himself shooting the bow in the Catch-A-Dream shoot in MS, he came in second in his class. I contacted him about the bow, he said he only shot it in tournaments now, no practice at home to put more wear and tear on it. You can see the wrap on the top limb, still holding up just fine.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:59:46 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: An oldie surfaces
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 04:13:38 pm »
Full draw still looks good Eric

Cool story. Always nice seeing them get used.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 04:28:50 pm »
A lot of people knock gizmo tillering for various reasons, I have good luck with it.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 06:31:22 pm »
Cool story
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 07:51:01 pm »
Great story, Tony is a great guy and shoots well, always good to have a go to bow. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 10:24:33 am »
Another thing; when I make a special bow, either as a gift for a special person or to raise money for a worthy cause, I go through my staves and pick only the cream of the crop to make a bow for the cause. It will have a clear back, perfect early to late wood ratio, heavy but buttery wood that slices like butter with no splintering, you osage guys know what I am talking about.

For some reason there seems to be some kind of divine intervention that kicks in when I build these special bows, they almost build themselves with none of the usual glitches that crop up during my day-to-day normal bow building.