Author Topic: Some medieval style tournament arrows  (Read 328 times)

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
Some medieval style tournament arrows
« on: June 20, 2024, 01:41:42 pm »
Life stuff has been getting in the way of some bow projects, although I got my Osage bow bending nicely and looking forward to getting back to that, but I managed to get some arrows made up for an upcoming tournament at my archery club. I had six already made up with the 7" goose fletchings bound on to beeswax/pine resin, so needing a couple more for spare I made four more aspen shafts with goose feathers and peacock as the cock feather. They are a barrelled profile tapering to 3/8" at the head and nock and 11.5mm at the thickest, 12" rear taper and 4" front taper. I sealed in the silk bindings on these four with three coats of a thick batch of hot rabbit skin glue which is a bit of an experiment as I wanted something more durable than the beeswax/resin mix as when I skim the side of the target the silk bindings/fletchings get wrecked quite easy, the rabbit skin glue sealant seems a lot more robust, I just have to give the R.S.G. a coat of danish oil tonight to weatherproof it. The heads are machined replicas of medieval target points weighing 8-9gram.
The arrows weigh 47-56gram, so some variation due to my planeing skills as I made the shafts from square stock aspen which I sawed up.
 R.D.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 01:48:39 pm by Ruddy Darter »
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Some medieval style tournament arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 12:51:14 pm »
Cool arrows, RD. I especially like the colors.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 07:11:18 pm »
Thank you Pat B, just got to give them a little test flight and then hopefully good to go. I just found some old half inch ash dowels  that I must of had for well over 15+ years, and I'm going to try for some similar type arrows with it for hopefully heavier bows I got in the works, they should make some hard hitting tough arrows.

R.D.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 07:17:37 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 11:58:46 pm »
Like with good bow wood well seasoned wood is great for arrows too. You should be able to make some good arrows for a heavy bow with that ash shafting.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 04:53:45 am »
Good to read Pat B, nice to be reassured of their worth,
 Here they are, bone dry and browned after being stored in the bottom of a closet for said years. They are 13mm in diameter so probably block plane a skim off the whole length, 12mm or a smidge under would be ideal, as the target points I'll use are very light. I'm rather keen to start on a batch of three. I got a few squared aspen to use and I'm going to make another four of these. I did find making an even round the whole length first and then putting on the tapers works a lot better than trying to do it while square, they turn out with a lot less variation.
... I collected some goose feathers today, I'm just giving them a sanitizing bath .😊
 R.D.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 12:35:08 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2024, 02:53:40 pm »
Yeah, I guess it's molting season. Good way to collect goose feathers.
 Looking forward to your next batch of feathered shafts, RD.   :OK    (SH)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 08:15:57 pm »
Good looking arrows, haven't made any with goose feathers in a good while but really like them, really high oil line on the ones I have use so very nice for hunting in bad weather.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 08:32:18 pm »
Thanks Pappy, I really like the goose feathers, I found the smaller primaries match the peacock feathers better in regards to rigidity, so i collect them all, the smallest are definitely great for light weight arrows for lower poundage bows, aiming to make some of those for people. I got four more aspen shafts rounded and the rear taper put on, I'll do my best to have them ready for the Sunday tournament, I did watch a Clay Hayes YouTube vid on putting tapers on and I use this method (although I make the tapers a little longer and use a shooting board), a very helpful video.
I also seen some vids of earth pigment powders added to rabbit skin glue, may play around with that for sealing in the bindings, some creative colour schemes come to mind.
 R.D.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 08:40:08 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 10:44:29 pm »
Beautiful arrows Ruddy. I really like them

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2024, 05:40:04 am »
Thank you bjrogg,
 I cut in the horn inserts first thing this morning and glued in with rabbit skin glue, I found these clothes pegs do the trick clamping, and I read rabbit skin glue is self clamping to a degree on its own during the drying process.
 The weather is great here and I hope you are all enjoying the summer season   (-S ,all the best,
 R.D.