Author Topic: Very simple rest for a very simple bow  (Read 1946 times)

Offline lenador

Very simple rest for a very simple bow
« on: October 08, 2023, 10:45:14 am »
After the suggestion of a leather rest from pat B I decided it was the perfect addition to my very simple red oak bow. This was my first bow ever. Made from a board and I made it as basic and simple as possible but as I grew to want more function and shoot ability from it I added a proper string and though the leather rest was perfect.
 I just cut up a cheap suede glove and used contact cement to apply to the wood. I haven't goty nocking point adjusted yet but so far I feel like it makes it much more consistent.

Do excuse the mess.... I decided to build a bow building work area while half way through re working my basement. .... I think it's called ADDiction.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Very simple rest for a very simple bow
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 11:01:58 am »
That'll work.  Mickey Lotz put those "floppy" rests  on most of the bows he made back in the day.  A lot of guys really like them and still use a rest like that.  It works.  Congrats.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 12:02:24 pm »
Beautiful arc of a circle tiller. I love that look.
 I use Mickey's floppy rest on most of my bows. It's such an ingenious concept.
Well done, Lenador!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aksel

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 02:04:35 pm »
very nice tiller on that bow. And I know that ADDiction too :)
Stoneagebows

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 06:07:45 pm »
Might give the last 10" of the bottom limb a few scrapes to lessen that hinge that is forming just in from the stiff tip end.

Offline lenador

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 06:19:20 pm »
Might give the last 10" of the bottom limb a few scrapes to lessen that hinge that is forming just in from the stiff tip end.
Maybe someday but this was my first bow I built 10 years ago. I'm currently building something else but I just love shooting this simple bow. Maybe someday I'll come back and modify the tiller. I ran out of weight when doing the tiller so I just left it as is and finished it.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.