Author Topic: Knot/hole placement  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Kidder

Knot/hole placement
« on: September 10, 2023, 12:07:58 pm »
Starting an Osage self bow. The stave is 71 inches long and has a knot that I suspect may come out once I reduce the belly. It’s located 12.5” from one end. I currently have it situated 6” from the one tip but I could place it anywhere from 6”-12.5” from the tip. I intent to slightly flip the tips. Where would you place this knot for best outcome?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Knot/hole placement
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 12:33:21 pm »
I think I would center it at the widest portion of the limb I could and leave enough meat around it. It's ok where you have it placed but with the extra meat around it that close to the tip would add excessive weight out on the limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 12:41:04 pm »
I’m with Pat. I would move it as close to the fades ( widest part of limbs) as I could.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 01:05:42 pm »
I think I would center it at the widest portion of the limb I could and leave enough meat around it. It's ok where you have it placed but with the extra meat around it that close to the tip would add excessive weight out on the limb.

That was exactly my concern. I’ll shift the design. It’ll look cooler that way anyways. Thanks guys.