Author Topic: Honey Locust  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Lost Oki

Honey Locust
« on: April 16, 2023, 11:05:05 pm »
I have an opportunity to get a Honey Locust log, fresh cut.  Good / Bad or hold out for hickory or maple??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Honey Locust
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:14:01 pm »
I'd always take free wood but hickory or maple would be a better choice for selfbows. I've never used honey locust but I've heard it's marginal. Maybe someone else has a better opinion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:00 am »
I have made a few from Honey Locust and they were OK bows, just need to be wide, made mine about 2 inches at the fads to about mid limb then tapered to the tips, about 68 t-t and will wind up a little thicker to get a good draw weight. It is easy to work with and takes heat well. It's sure not the worst wood i have worked with. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 08:17:03 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  It will be a good learning experience for me.  Will keep you up to date.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 03:52:27 pm »
I made 2 for my Grand kids. They are still working, but took some set. Low poundage, and not so experienced as a bow maker at that time.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 10:36:39 am »
I’ve made a few from thornless honey locust. Chased them down to a heartwood ring. It’s a decent bow wood but nothing special. I snag a few staves whenever I have access to a log. I made them 2” wide to mid limb and 64-66” long for a 26-28” draw. Heat treated one thoroughly and fire hardened another, which really improved it. It’s an attractive looking wood that takes on a really cool color as it ages.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows