Author Topic: Take down yew bow project.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Take down yew bow project.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2023, 02:09:49 pm »
A friend that builds glass bows had a handle with bow bolt fail and I got the bow bolt from the broken bow. Not sure where he got the bow bolts but I can find out if you are interested.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2023, 05:10:48 pm »
Yes please Arvin.  Thanks
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 05:16:42 pm »
So I worked on a new limb for this project figured I post updates here.  Figured I may as well post updates on this as there seems to be some interest in takedowns.  If anything I learn something in the process. 

Here’s the start of the new limb.  Gonna have little more character then the original but similar Colors in the heartwood which is nice.  Good right grain on this piece as well actually.  The sapwood was a little thick so I drawknifed it down a tad to match. 

Thanks for following along this project with me. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2023, 06:30:00 pm »
Fingers crossed for a better result this time Dave.

Re The Bow Bolt. I know some people have had success with joining billets. Others have had failures, even fglass bowyers. One glass bowyer only does them with solid phenolic risers, won't use wood anymore. If you go the BB route in the future, for all wood bows, I would at the very least give the outside of the joins wraps/bindings of fg, before starting the tillering process.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2023, 07:58:29 pm »
Yes agree hamish. Three piece take downs also need the thickness of the fades to where they stop bending or they hinge at that spot. All good use of billets.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2023, 08:43:11 pm »
I just realized that I may have to forego the bow bolt idea on this one.  I cut my replacement billet to length already for a tenon length and it’s now little too short if I do a half way up the handle joint with the bolt.  Think I’ll have to stick with a tenon and just not violate the sapwood this time.  I think it will work. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2023, 06:30:20 pm »
Quick update.  I did my heat corrections on this piece.  It needed a slight correction to the left about 3/4 of way down the limb towards the tip.  I also used the same form to put slight reflex into the new piece to match the top limb.  There is quite a bit of character in this limb with a little snaky bend to the right then to the left.  It also has lots of bill and dips that out towards the tip starting at mid limb onward.   Gonna call this bow “jeckyl and Hyde”if it stays together for me.  Should prove interesting tillering this bow with all of those character hills and valleys in the new limb.  We shall see.  Here’s some pics of my progress.  Also I developed a small crack at the end near the tip. Not too concerned with it as it doesn’t appear too deep and not bending much out there.  I saturated some this ca glue in there for now and will proceed with thinning this piece down some more.

Thanks for looking and following along.

Cheers.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2023, 06:32:35 pm »
Few more. 

superdav95@gmail.com