Author Topic: Scorched back while flipping tips  (Read 912 times)

Offline WindhoverMark

Scorched back while flipping tips
« on: December 10, 2022, 01:27:56 pm »
I was being lazy and thought I would add some mild recurves while I was heat treating the belly. One of the tips took a lot longer to come around than I had planned and the back scorched. My form was wider than the limb at this point and I was using a heat gun, I knew this was a risk but went for it anyway. I'm thinking I will try and glue some silk to the back of the tip and see what happens. Does anyone have a better suggestion that doesn't require a time machine?

Offline simk

Re: Scorched back while flipping tips
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 02:27:31 pm »
I dont think this will bring you into trouble. Just sand away that discoloration and forget this ever happened 🤗
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 02:58:48 pm »
...but give it plenty of time to rehydrate before straining it.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WindhoverMark

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 03:29:49 pm »
Thanks gentlemen.
I was kind of thinking it would be ok, especially since these tips aren't really working. But at the same time, I would rather have an ugly bow than a broken bow.
As far as rehydrating, it'll be another couple days before I put a string back on it. I was just getting ready to start putting on tip overlays.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 03:50:20 pm »
Oil (canola)up your tips before heating will stop you from scorching the back.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 09:56:11 pm »
Is that hickory, hard to tell from picture but looks to have extremely tight growth rings and although scorched area is tiny looks kinda deep. Hopefully it didn't violate the growth ring.
   I personally have had bad luck with scorched backs causing breaks even more so if it is on the edge. If its not through growth ring I would be tempted to treat it as a gouge and sand hole kinda smooth, kinda like a shallow smooth dimple doing away with rough edge. Just my 2 cents good luck and hope it works out for you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:01:04 pm by darinputman »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 10:17:17 pm »
 Been there done that. Sometimes it’s not a problem. But I’ve had a few fail. That one looks not so bad. Pats probably right about getting some moisture back in it.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 12:07:17 am »
I dont think this will bring you into trouble. Just sand away that discoloration and forget this ever happened 🤗

I agree. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 12:46:17 am »
would an overlay be an option,, ??