Author Topic: Digital subscriptions, a different perspective  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Digital subscriptions, a different perspective
« on: November 01, 2022, 10:24:23 am »
First off, I haven't subscribed to PA for 20 years, the magazine doesn't interest me that much. One thing that does interest me is this message board, such a vast amount of knowledge available at our finger tips. If Pa folds so does this message board.

As many of you know I am a flintlock builder as well, there are two major gun building sites that cater to sidelock rifles and shotguns, one is the Muzzloader Forum with 21K members, the other, the American Longrifle site with almost 5K members. Both of these amazing forums are owned by individuals and rely on member contributions to stay afloat. Both of these forums have members that vary from rank beginners to the guys who make guns that sell for as much as 50k, the greats are always willing to share their building techniques with us guys eager to learn.

The knowledge I have gained from these boards has allowed me to go from my embarrassingly bad first gun build to a middle of the road competent builder.

To show my appreciation for what I learned from the boards I set up an automatic payment plan to the M/L Forum of $12 a year, not all that much but with lots of others following suit it adds up to enough to keep the forum up and running. Every few years I send $100 to the AL site to help keep them afloat.

It looks like we are at a crossroads on whether PA continues on or fails, all things aside as far as the digital mag change from print to digital goes, how much is this forum worth to you, is it worth $2 a month for a magazine subscription? I spend an estimated 15 hours a month or more here, $2 a month is pretty cheap entertainment.

I just subscribed, not for the magazine, but to keep this forum alive.

Update; I tried to subscribe and got this;

This site can’t provide a secure connectionwww.primitivearcher.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

I messaged Calendar Girl to get things straightened out.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:41:10 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Digital subscriptions, a different perspective
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 07:07:43 pm »
I really like this place

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 03:46:15 am »
Me too! Well worth a Monthly or Annual fee. This Site has been My first stop every Morning for many Years - would be lost without it  (A). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 07:51:51 am »
When I first subscribed back in the late 1990's it was not for the magazine but to help out PA itself, I also thought/think the forum was/is a great resource.  It's too bad all the information from the original message board (the old DC message board) is lost.  I've always thought it would be a great resource if all that information was put on a disk and sold, maybe there's a bit of nostalgia going on there  :-\.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 12:59:41 am »
I have been here for a minute. I ma sad that I can no longer receive a hard copy mag. I do not get a lot of computer time. Since PA went to a non secure site, I cannot access it from work. Paid for a two year plus subscripiton and cannot really access it anywhere....

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 09:23:44 am »
Sounds like you definitely deserve a refund to me.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 12:38:20 pm »
Eric I agree with you, with your view on the forum. I have subscribed to PA for quite a while and have enjoyed the magazine.                                                                   
       When I gave up the compound in '97, I went trad not really knowing about anything else. Back in the day I bought Trad bowhunter and Instinctive archer mags. Then I found PA mag and I learned a lot. Not being computer savey I stayed away from the forum. As time went on I got better at it and joined up. The forum was kinda life changing as a source of infomation. Iv'e attemped prodjects I never would of thought of before and actually had some great success. For myself the price of a subscription is well worth the price to support this forum.
      I enjoy reading a hard copy, something about sitting in the quiet reading a book or magazine. As the song goes, the times they are a changing
 Thanks for listening
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 01:16:20 am »
so? why is this forum fading away? plenty of us to support the ideals and lifeways.... too many other platforms? I have made many e=friends here and I miss their contributions. Again, I am NOT a digital processor. I am all for PRINT! Watch youtube paper is not dead .... funny , nice perspective.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 04:27:52 am »
I have had this very same discussion several times recently, Eric. I, too, am a subscriber to several other message boards in order to keep them alive and to keep the connection to valuable resources and people.

I encourage PA to pursue this, maybe not as a revenue stream, but to at least relieve them of a cost burden.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.