Author Topic: how to fill checks in yew  (Read 2594 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: how to fill checks in yew
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 08:01:16 pm »
Oh ok. Lesson learned. Never bend a bow backwards though I must say been there done that.

I had this beautiful oak board with the straightest grain that I inherited from my father, of eternal memory,  who was a consummate woodworker.

I was making a bow for my nephew f and by mistake I strung it backwards. Broke my heart along with the stave. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline freke

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 03:57:39 am »
 I bend it backwards only little and after the breaking to open up the splinter deep enough to get the glue into the static part (and id did go all the way to the fade, pushed out glue when I wrapped it). The only positive I can see is experience gained, but still hopping

I will meet some other bowyer next weekend and I will bring it, see what they says
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 06:19:52 am by freke »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 09:59:58 am »
I wish youth the best. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline freke

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 09:35:42 am »
Well about a month ago I meet some bowyers, and I show the reparation and they diplomatic says nice curves and glue line, but maybe better burn it or make a kid bow of it...After all work and hard time waiting for this yew stave, I do better fight then give up.

Un-stringed nocks are about a finger positive and the middle limb about two fingers negative. I have little experience with deflex-reflex limbs and find it way difficult to see the right tiler, so I am open for comments?  I realized that a gizmo is useless, I considered limbs divided three sections and try bend each equal, but it looks visually odd with too much bend in inner and straight mid-limbs.
At the moment have I not draw much more than on the picture bellow, guess it would approximately be around 40-45# at full draw (28is) and feels smooth and pleasant to draw.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 10:27:59 am »
Nice! You did well with that stave.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC