Author Topic: string?  (Read 3292 times)

kdub

string?
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:28:15 pm »
I have an osage longbow.  I measured it to be 60in tip to tip and about 58 nock to nock.  Ther draw length for the bow is 24.  It feels like about 55-60lbs but i need to get it on the scale to be sure.  My question is   
How long should the string for this bow be?
Thanks for any help
Kdub

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: string?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:36:35 pm »
I use a bowyers knot on my strings so I can adjust as needed. I usually make he string about 6" longer to accommodate the knot. When measuring out B-50 for a string I'll make the strands 12" longer than the bows length, and use 14 strands for bows from 45# to 60#.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:00:17 pm »
Same here, I greatly prefer the traditional loop-on-one-end-tied-on-the-other-end Flemish string.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

kdub

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:41 pm »
when adjusting the strings length, how do you tell when it is right? 

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »
I use the tillering string as my gauge.  Get the bow to proper brace height with the tillering string then measure that.  Then make the double loop string an inch or so shorter than that (to allow for stretch).  Stretch the crap out of it and brace the bow.  You can then make small adjustments by twisting and untwisting.
Traverse City, MI

kdub

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:38:42 pm »
I didnt make this bow, actually I have never made a bow,  yet.  I am trying to figure out what the proper brace height would be, how do you tell that? Thanks for your patience,im a newbie.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:41:35 pm »
when adjusting the strings length, how do you tell when it is right?

When the brace height is where you want it. I like to start with a fistmele  (fist with thumb extended-about 5 1/2"-6") between the string and handle and work from there. Like Rick said, you can adjust it by twisting. If you fiddle with it, you'll find the brace height where your bow shoots the best.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

kdub

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:53:55 pm »
thanks for the help yall.    I have read before that there is a formula , or rule of thumb for string length,  something like "string length is 4 inches less than bow length" or something.  I understand that each bow will shoot differently, but is there a general rule of thumb for string lenth in relation to bow length?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:07:29 am »
The original "rule of thumb" was the fistmele Hillbilly talked about...your hand in a fist with the thumb pointing up. That is the starting point for the distance between the string and the belly side of your handle. A string of about 4" shorter than the bow should be able to work out for proper brace height.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kdub

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:04:08 am »
Ok thanks that should work great. 

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 09:19:28 am »
thanks for the help yall.    I have read before that there is a formula , or rule of thumb for string length,  something like "string length is 4 inches less than bow length" or something.  I understand that each bow will shoot differently, but is there a general rule of thumb for string lenth in relation to bow length?

Generally speaking the string should be about 3" less than the nock to nock length of the bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline markinengland

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 02:42:06 pm »
A lot will depend on what the string is made of.
If dacron it will stretch a surprising amount from new and may need to be as much as 4 inches short of the nock to settle in about right. A linen or fastlfight type string may only need to be 2 inches short of the nock. A loop at one end and a bowyers knot at the other can avoid a lot of frustration!
Mark in England