Author Topic: bow stave help  (Read 952 times)

Offline hicklife1989

bow stave help
« on: August 24, 2022, 02:46:21 pm »
hello been trying to find some hickory starves new to bow making only problem is i cant find permeation  to cut any down and not wanting to buy on-line again since last piece i spent money on was only good for fire wood did not know if there might be some people in or near Spartanburg SC or Shelby NC round that area that might have some hickory starves willing to sell dont mind if it is green wood been watching videos on fire curing green bows wanting to try hickory as i hear it is the easiest to start with tried lowes they don't really have any hickory boards

Offline superdav95

Re: bow stave help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:20:21 am »
I could send you one but you may pay out the nose for shipping.  I’m in Canada eh.  Dm me if you want to pursue this to get a good dry stave.  I’ve got a few here that are good to go. 

Cheers. 

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 01:17:18 pm »
Your area has lots of hickory. Talk to people you know and eventually you'll find a place to get a stave. And lumber yards in your area have hickory boards you could look through.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 09:37:19 am »
I would look for hickory logs or rough cut lumber in the classified or online marketplace.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 09:49:04 am »
...just be sure the log or sawmill lumber was properly stored after cutting. As little as a few weeks in the elements can ruin hickory for bow building.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC