Author Topic: 1.75" hornbeam sapling  (Read 1832 times)

Offline BetterTrees

1.75" hornbeam sapling
« on: July 07, 2022, 01:02:43 pm »
Hey everyone! I've been putting in a lot of time traveling for work and so I haven't spent a lot of time on bows for a few months.
I happened upon this American hornbeam sapling in North Carolina a couple of months ago and squeezed in the time I could to whittle away at it after work on the road.
I haven't posted a completed bow yet, and I figured it is about time.
The tiller isn't perfect, but I think that 64" is long enough to not kill it at my 25" draw. There's a fair bit of character and I think I'm starting to get a feel for this tillering stuff. Letting go of the focus on short bows seems to make them much better at not snapping, and this thing has a much smoother draw than anything else I have made since my first couple that were long red oak boards.
It's about 1.5" wide and doesn't narrow at all until the last 8" on the bottom limb and about 12" on the top.
It's sitting at about 1" of set after a hundred or so arrows through it. The outer bark not being removed was not part of my original plan, but I decided to run with it and now it has such a feral look that I think it was the right call. It has horizontal cracks all over it, and I don't think the bark is actually taking any tension load. Surely it would have broken if that was the case.
This is the second bow I've named, and the one I am the most fond of by far. Enkidu is the wild man in the story of Gilgamesh who gets tamed and ends up having all sorts of adventures afterwards.
I'm looking forward to people looking at me like I am crazy when I walk in the woods with half of a walking stick to hunt pigs and deer.
It is going to get a natural fiber or rawhide string at some point soon and probably no serving or nocking point just to look at primitive as possible.
Thanks for checking it out.
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzXeRg

Offline BetterTrees

Re: 1.75" hornbeam sapling
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 01:05:26 pm »
I totally forgot! It's drawing 45# at 25"
I need a chrono to start checking the performance of these things.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 01:58:26 pm »
I really like its rough look. Tiller looks good too. At least European Horn beam is rock hard so why the string overlays?

good luck hunting with it!
Stoneagebows

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 02:32:39 pm »
I like it!  I have a hickory sapling that I'm about to tackle with similar knots and character so good to see that it can be done.

Offline BetterTrees

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 06:55:53 pm »
Aksel, that one overlay is a repair. I split the self nock trying to brace a little too early with really rough nocks cut in. I used CA glue to put it back together and then put the overlay on to keep from losing any more length than I had to. It's a little piece of invasive honeysuckle that I had laying around, which is a super impressive bow wood itself.

Thanks, Buckskinner!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 07:13:26 pm »
Looks good. Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 06:43:22 pm »
Simple stick, I like it, the only problem I think you will have leaving the bark on , is it will dry out and crack and come off at a later date, it may or may not damage the back when it dose, ask me how i know  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BetterTrees

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 12:26:51 am »
I was in love with the idea, but now it seems iffy.

I am working a tiny plum static recurve with the bark on and at close to full draw one of the levers suddenly blew its bark and folded. I dropped the line and immediately unstrung it.
We'll see how it holds up. Just have to make a proper string and that one is ready to shoot in.
I know I was running too thin if the bark was the difference between static and working recurves.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 08:42:06 pm »
I'm with Pappy about the bark. I missed that you left the bark on. I had the bark on an American hornbeam sapling crack and the bow broke.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!