Author Topic: lumber terms, rays, flaking  (Read 3483 times)

Offline snedeker

lumber terms, rays, flaking
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
I have been thinking about buying a white oak board and looking online  but is I see a lot of it is quarter sawed (which is good) but is described as having "rays", "flaking" or being tiger striped.  Any lumbermen to explain these conditions and their ramifications with regard to bow use?

Dave

radius

Re: lumber terms, rays, flaking
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:03:50 pm »
Well, you're in luck:  I just happen to have a book right here that tells us.

The function of the rays (called medullary rays) is to store and transport food throughout the tree.  They radiate from the pith area towards the outside of the trunk.  "The medulllary rays in oak can be seen on the face as dark brown lines about one inch long"

As to the question, how do they affect bowmaking?  I think the answer is simply, they create an attractive appearance (if you like the look of them) or they make the bow look ugly (if you don't like the look).  I have made a white oak bow before, and found the rays to be no impediment at all:  just looks good.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:28:41 pm »
Nice info.   Does it say anything about flaking?  I've made couple self bows from staves of WO.

Dave

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »
Dave,

Is thar flaking, or "fleck"? All the terms used are for figured woods....I would shy away from them. I sold tons of figured woods, and most are NOT bow quality material. My experience.

Brian

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:50:43 am »
I have made some of the most Beautiful Bows...and toughest ...out of Birdseye Maple....and I would definitely call this Figured Wood
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:47:47 am »
Dave, on the 1/4 sawn remember that the edge grain has to be perfectly straight or the board may break. Is this lumber source a bowyer? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:44:12 am »
Jawge..there you are....been trying to goad you on...in another Post...but no Bites.....where ya been?? me and Justin been expecting you!!!
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7140.msg100207.html#msg100207
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:36:24 pm »
rays on an unfinished white oak nock:

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:40:09 pm »
The most recent edition of WOOD magazine, typically found at Lowes and HD has an excellent detailed article about white and red oak. Great read, great pictures, and a worthy reference.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday