Author Topic: Bowstring material for a Nomadic Pirate bow  (Read 1495 times)

Offline OsageWhisper

Bowstring material for a Nomadic Pirate bow
« on: March 30, 2022, 11:14:20 am »
Team a while back I has lucky to get a Guava d/r longbow from Manny, I want to get a new string , does anyone know if they are fastflight capable

Thank you
Pete

Offline Hamish

Re: Bowstring material for a Nomadic Pirate bow
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:17:24 pm »
 I would need to see the nocks, and the new string. If its plain old self nocks you would really be risking damage. If it has overlays its probably ff compatible(if properly made).

You can make a fastflight string with more strands, or pad out the loops to reduce the chance of the string cutting into self nocks. By doing this you reduce the weight/speed advantage that FF has, over older material strings.

If in doubt use Dacron

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 08:02:14 pm »
Most people these days report no issues with fast flight like D97 even with self nocks. Organic Archer recently posted that he got a spool of fast flight that chewed through his nocks. I think I recall him doing some hardwood overlays on some of those guava bows. Was this a recent order? Would be cool to see his recent work if he’s still making bows.

Offline bambule

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 03:04:13 am »
 I use FF-Strings for the last 15 years for my wooden bows without any problem. FF is a little bit like linen which was used in the medieval times for warbows. A heartwoodoverlay or hornoverlay can help preventing a splinter or you can use more strands, maybe of Dacron for the loop.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 04:15:46 am »
If the nocks are made right dyneema based strings are not a problem.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 04:17:02 am »
Natural fiber strings (linen/hemp) have similar stretch to dyneema once broken in but nobody ever says is my bow ok for a hemp string ;) ;)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 04:49:59 pm »
maybe just put a sinew wrap below string grooves,,

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 05:37:01 pm »
Pad the loops if your unsure, I use d97   a lot of my wood tipped  self bows, but no nothing of that bow wood.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 08:52:12 pm »
I’ve used D97 double loop Flemish strings on hundreds of selfbows without issue. No overlays, just smooth transitions on the nocks without any sharp edges.

The only FF material that’s ever given me trouble was Brownell Fury. For whatever reason, it chewed into the tips of 3 bows in a row.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 04:50:34 pm »
Been using FF as a string material for years without issue. I do pad the loops somewhat if making a string for a self nocked bow.
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 05:03:01 pm »
Most people these days report no issues with fast flight like D97 even with self nocks. Organic Archer recently posted that he got a spool of fast flight that chewed through his nocks. I think I recall him doing some hardwood overlays on some of those guava bows. Was this a recent order? Would be cool to see his recent work if he’s still making bows.

Manny is busy being married and respectable these days.  ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.