Author Topic: Hickory stave injury - updated with tiller check  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Kidder

Re: Hickory stave injury (new problem!)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 02:49:20 am »
So I haven’t given up on this bow yet. Chased a lot of problems in the belly, but overall I’m as concerned about the belly issues as I was. Gave it a good heat treat and induced some reflex. Got it to brace, made of couple adjustments to even up the bend and rebraced it and a splinter popped on the back. Except it wasn’t what I would have expected. It was basically the cambium popped off in a swirl around a knot and appears to have taken a little wood with it - but it followed the cambium perfectly. There is a little bit of an edge to it in one spot. Of course it’s in the same location as the belly problem. My thought is to use a goose neck scraper and sand paper and smooth it out. Thoughts? Time to give up?

Black Moshannon

Re: Hickory stave injury
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 09:12:46 pm »
Is that the stave I mailed? I’ve had a lot of cambium on hickory pop up like that, it’s not big deal at all, I just sanded it down. But that belly doesn’t look great from the photo. I’d be curious to see where it lays in an overall photo

Offline Kidder

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 10:01:22 pm »
Is that the stave I mailed? I’ve had a lot of cambium on hickory pop up like that, it’s not big deal at all, I just sanded it down. But that belly doesn’t look great from the photo. I’d be curious to see where it lays in an overall photo
Yep. The belly issue is in the heavily heat treated area in the picture - 7 inches from the handle and 4 inches from the fade. It’s not nearly as dark in person as it is in the picture though. Tough spot for a problem…

Offline Kidder

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 11:27:21 pm »
Ok so here is where I am with it. I’d like some opinions on the tiller. To my eyes it looks like it’s not bending enough in the top mid and outer, but the reflex in that area is greater so I *think* it’s actually bending more than it looks. The dark area is the problem area, where I of course managed to put a hinge on it early on. It’s more or less a straight taper from the fades. Input please.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 01:26:14 am by Kidder »