Author Topic: question on elm and another first  (Read 2730 times)

Offline benjamin

question on elm and another first
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »
I'm very excited! I just moved to an area with hardwoods and I'm about to make my first bow from a tree that I cut myself. I matched the leaves to an elm and I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me the species. The tree was cut a week ago, the bark is smooth and grey; no furrows or anything. The trunk was about 4'' in diamiter and the leaves had an uneven base with ridges all the way around and the leaves look pretty circular with an extra point on the end. Does anyone know exactly was type of elm this is? If the finnished D bow is 53'' ntn, 1 3/8'' wide to midlimb and being pulled to 25'', what kind of poundage could I get? I tied it into 3'' of reflex and I would like to keep 0 to 1'' of reflex when it's shot in. Thanks for any help. Ben

Offline Woodeye

Re: question on elm and another first
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:40:23 pm »

Benjamin,

Typing a tree is no easy task for me even when I am standing in the woods looking at the tree in question.  i am not sure of your location but give this site (I'm not sure how to insert a link so I hope this works) a try.  It is meant for Wisconsin trees but it may work fine or there may be a similar site for your locale

http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/trees/tree_list01.htm

Woodeye

Waterford, Wisconsin

Offline benjamin

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:47:17 am »
thanks for the help. Ben

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:22:27 am »
Never seen a elm with smooth grey bark? Beech and American Hornbeam come to mind with smooth gray bark but
the base of leaves are even. As always pictures would help.

American Hornbeam
http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/hornbeam_american/hornbeam_american.html

American Beech
http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/beech/beech.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:39:42 pm »
a picture would say it all. if you have  a pic of the leaf, i could tell you most likely. im pretty good with leaves.- Ryan.

but if its an un-even botom and round with a pointed tip and has 2 or more teeth per singe tooth, then it sound slike an american elm.  see how in the pic the leaves have large single teeth but the large teeth have smaller teeth on them...   american elm

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline benjamin

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:03:44 pm »
unfortunately, I left the leaves in the woods and tossed the bark within an hour of cutting it down. I'll have to remember not to do that again. The tree was all sap wood if that helps. And, I've had the floor tillered staves in the back seat of the car on hot afternoons and on the porch in the wind on sunny mornings now for a week and a half. Despite all this, I still leave a pretty large dent in the wood with my finger nail with minimal pressure. Is elm just that soft or is it still way too green? I have no funds for a moisture meter at the present.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:07:14 pm »
And that is about how I remember the leaves. Thank you for the picture.

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:56 pm »
Maybe it's Bass wood   ???  sounds like it's to soft to be Elm  :-\
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline richpierce

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:25 pm »
Basswood has really big leaves compared to elm.  The inner bark is good for making cordage.  The wood is about as soft as white pine.