Author Topic: Fast and safe way to achieve desired poundage on a bow in production  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Fast and safe way to achieve desired poundage on a bow in production
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 08:14:38 pm »
We'd  need to know the length and current width of the limbs before truly reaching a solution. At least one not involving light weight training.

No, we don't need to know current length or width. For ANY length and width, narrowing the working limbs by any fraction reduces the draw weight by the same fraction.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2021, 08:48:00 pm »
True but lateral stability could be at stake for narrow bows.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 06:47:18 am »
In the end I did with a very sharp knife.

I kept the bow strung while shaving so that I could check the tiller as I went.

I opted out of the width reduction because I wanted to keep the limb as flat as possible. Being this bow only 130 cm it would have been quite safe to do anyway.

It turned out well, thanks for the advice.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 03:49:08 pm »
We'd  need to know the length and current width of the limbs before truly reaching a solution. At least one not involving light weight training.

No, we don't need to know current length or width. For ANY length and width, narrowing the working limbs by any fraction reduces the draw weight by the same fraction.

Still need to know in order to determine if the bow is underbuilt or overbuilt.   If he said the bow was less than an inch wide already and 56 inches long, would you narrow it?