Author Topic: Tillering help please :)  (Read 953 times)

Offline rcoen2

Tillering help please :)
« on: November 06, 2021, 02:57:33 pm »
So,

I have been working away at my hopefully second completed bow.  The first one I got a lot of in-person tillering support from some experienced bowyers at a primitive skill share gathering.  And so, I could use some experienced eyes on this one now too. 

Part of what is tricky for me is seeing different things from different sides of the bow...

Here's the bow unbraced. You can see the left side (the side with out some visible knot bumps) is taking a bit more set than the limb on the right. 

unbraced1 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

unbraced2 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

Here's a photo of the bow braced and drawn from the same side.  (so the limb that showed some set is on the left, and the limb with some visible knot bumps is on the right. 

bracedside1 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

drawnside1 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

But then, here's a photo of the bow braced and drawn flipped around. (so the limb with the visible knots is now on the left, and the limb that showed a bit more set in the first images, is now on the right.

bracedside2 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

drawnside2 by Ryder Coen, on Flickr

Support would be greatly appreciated! :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:50:22 pm by rcoen2 »

Offline rcoen2

Re: Tillering help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 08:20:56 pm »
So as I'm looking at my images more closely I'm creating a theory that the limb with the knots (the one on the right in the first 4 images and on the left in the last two) is slightly stronger than the limb that is showing a tad more set. 

My question then is, if that is the case, on the stronger limb where is it that I should remove some wood?  Just in a section or sections, or along the whole limb? 

How accurate is the overall arc in each of the limbs?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering help please!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 08:44:54 pm »
The limb on the left in the first 4 pics has a twist that looks like it increases as it is drawn. This tells me that the limb thickness is uneven across the limb so one side of the limb is stronger than the other. It also seems to bending more than the other.  Also, to my eye the outer 1/3 of each limb looks stiff. I like the outer 6" to be stiffer than the rest of the limb.
 A few full length scrapes on the stiffer limb will get it bending more. Be sure to exercise the bow well after each wood removal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

Re: Tillering help please :)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 03:14:20 am »
Most importantly what is the width profile/taper like? That will determine what tiller shape your limbs should have.
It is bending too much out of the fades (unless it is a pyramid) and the left limb in the last photos is weak.

Offline rcoen2

Re: Tillering help please :)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 01:52:33 pm »
The width taper starts off around 1.5 and is consistent past midlimb then begins to taper to about .4" tips if I'm remembering correctly.  Ill have to go down and double check though to be sure. But basically its a wide limbed bow for most of its length before it starts to taper down to the tips.

I was concerned the bend was too much coming out of the fades.

Luckily I'm just making this as a low weight target practice bow for my partner.  Right now its on track to being about 20# at 26 inches but I may heat treat it to try and bring it up to 25#.

I am a bit confused about your assessment that the left limb in the last two photos is weak because that seems to be the opposite of what Pat B and I were seeing...