Author Topic: Hickory Hunting Bow  (Read 3900 times)

Offline SDBurntStick

Re: Hickory Hunting Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 10:50:14 pm »
Nice bow. Good to see new bowyers coming onto this great site.

I steamed and did a slight bend.  I have had trouble with hickory trying to get steep curves and I fail every time.  This one worked out perfect though.  It turned out to be a much harder shooting bow than expected.  Really happy with it. 

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 12:21:15 am »
Very nice all around. The heartwood handle and fades really pop.good job and welcome to the forum and addiction.

Offline bpctcb

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 02:39:39 am »
That’s a very looking bow you have built. The Osage tips are nice but I love the heartwood handle. Did you darken up the handle any or is it all natural color?

It’s quite a nice feeling to make a bow from wood cut on your own property, isn’t it?

BP

Offline SDBurntStick

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 08:46:10 am »
That’s a very looking bow you have built. The Osage tips are nice but I love the heartwood handle. Did you darken up the handle any or is it all natural color?

It’s quite a nice feeling to make a bow from wood cut on your own property, isn’t it?

BP

That's the natural color.  Finish is linseed oil/urethane mix.  It definitely is nice.  With the storms this year, I had a persimmon blow over so I'm going to try it once dry.  I have tons of bush honeysuckle too that I am still experimenting with.  Several are 3 to 5" in diameter.  Seems like springy wood but I think I overstrained the last one and it exploded lol.