Author Topic: Tiller shape vs front profile  (Read 17504 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Tiller shape vs front profile
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2021, 07:43:29 pm »
Mark, if I have correctly observed Arvin's flight bow, while it has a pyramid width profile, the tiller shape was not an arc of circle tiller with less bend in the inner limbs and with stiff tips, is that correct?

My interpretation of his winning bow was that the wide inner limbs were overbuilt to take absolutely zero set, the mid limb just wide enough to not take set or take very little set, and stiff mildly reflexed outer limbs for low mass and high energy storage. I assume the low amount of working limb also contributes to low limb vibration. Narrowing of any portion of the bow would make it more efficient for mass movement but at risk of increasing set. I have no idea how to optimize what he already made but those are my thoughts. It would almost be a different bow with too many changes.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2021, 09:04:32 pm »
Ryan,

Arvin would have to speak to the finer points of those designs himself. I believe you are correct on his efforts to avoid set. Both him and badger are obsessive about avoiding set at all costs and Arvin certainly was concerned about minimizing vibration in the limb as well. I think the vibration reduction was a main point of his quest for the optimum weight distribution along the limb.

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2021, 01:49:38 am »
This is one of the main reasons molles are super nice to shoot. Same with hornbows in general) very little room for limb vibration. If it ain't losing energy to vibration then it is free to go into the arrow. Very important point that.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2021, 10:11:45 am »
Exactly...That's been my experience.It's just a fine patient tuning to tillering.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:41:45 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed