Author Topic: TB3 for sinew.  (Read 6559 times)

gutpile

Re: TB3 for sinew.
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2021, 04:18:58 pm »
its all good Pat ..

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2021, 05:24:01 pm »
So I left the bow braced backwards until the TB hardened, and then the next day I put it in this contraption and clipped the thing to the clothesline in hot sun and 20+ mph wind off the lake for two days.  It now has 4" reflex, I hope it will hold at least 2".  I'll leave it for a week at least at this rate.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2021, 07:03:54 pm »
You will lose most of your reflex. If you end up even to 1.5 inches of reflex take it. I sinew back bows when stave backs are bad . Rather than de crowning ,and backing  which I have done in the past with Bamboo, or Hickory I just reflex, and sinew, and use TB3. I just finished a 45lb sinew backed 60 inch Osage recently using TB3 that ended up with 1 inch of reflex with slightly flipped tips. Shooting a 10 GPP arrow , or a 450 gr arrow at 25 inches of draw through a chrony the average speed was 153 fps. I know for a fact if I had sinew backed that same bow with hide glue I could have gotten more  reflex, and better speed, but 153 fps with a 450 gr. arrow at a reasonable range will dispatch a white tail no problem. I used one thick layer of sinew, and an 8 strand low stretch string. My bows have non working risers. Your bow, your choice.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2021, 09:19:19 pm »
That's a good speed for a 25" draw.  How much reflex did you bend in before adding the sinew?

1.5" would be fine, the heat bent in 2".  This is a plains style, and they didn't have a ton of reflex.  Much more and stringing would be an issue anyway.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2021, 09:40:17 pm »
4 inches, and I tillered the bow carefully one inch at a time over a period of time making sure I got a good tiller.  Your bendy handle will help. My best plains bow is 50 inches long 25 inch draw. Holding close to 3 inches of reflex, but that one is built with hide glue ,and sinew. Good luck with yours.