Author Topic: Brood X Cicada watch  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Parnell

Brood X Cicada watch
« on: May 13, 2021, 05:53:45 pm »
I’ve been following the story that this is the year for the hatch.  We don’t get them this far south but it sounds like it could be starting anytime for most of you guys.  I’d enjoy reading about your sightings and when it starts.  We plan to head up to The Midwest in June, so I am looking forward to catching some of the hatch.  Gonna see about tying some flies.

It seems that the nymphs are reportedly good eating and nutritious when they first climb out of their skin.  I wonder if any of you adventurous souls will entertain us with some Cicada cooking?  There are some pretty creative dishes I’ve seen proposed online!

Hope to see what some of you come up with.
1’—>1’

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Brood X Cicada watch
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 05:58:06 pm »
   Yea, they say it's going to be a loud Summer! I usually find them depressing here in S.Carolina as they are a sign of very hot suppressive weather...
                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 07:16:19 pm »
They are saying it's not gonna be bad here. I remember the last one that hit Asheville hard. You could hardly hear yourself think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 10:49:52 pm »
A lot of micro-falconers are putting up their kestrels in order to keep them from focusing on cicadas and not taking starlings and sparrows. If kestrels start catching bugs, they may feed up and not want to return to the glove.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 05:37:06 pm »
I have a small wood strip behind my house about 40 yards widest at the most and 100 yards long and there is easily a 1000 holes where they burrowed up and have not come out yet. I flipped a stone by the chicken coops and saw one in the shell and tossed it at a chicken and she swallowed it whole. Western Maryland is going to be very very noisy as soon as the ground warms enough and its getting hot this week.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 06:54:33 pm »
The press is on with news stories.  I saw CBS Sunday Morning had a bit on it today.  JW, that’s fascinating about the Kestrels.  We get swallow tailed kites that come up from S America in March.  They are so amazing to watch fly, it would be a kick to see them feed on this type of thing.

A-Rob, it looks like you are in a predicted hot spot. I am wondering how accurate these maps are.  West Ohio is in the zone but East isn’t.  I’ll be curious to see the difference next month.

Keep us posted!
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 02:01:33 am »
We are likely too far west to see this, but I might be able to hear them if they were here!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 03:11:22 am »
I really like cicadas! That is... when they are not driving me insane   ;)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 01:27:49 pm »
I really like cicadas! That is... when they are not driving me insane   ;)

Funny story...
20 years back,come July, my brother and sister in law came out to Kansas for a visit from California. After a couple days the SIL comments "I thought it would be quieter out here in the country. Are there power lines near by?"
She was hear the buzz of the cicadas for the first time.  ;D