Author Topic: Yew shorty 55" 51#26"  (Read 3256 times)

Offline M2A

Re: Yew shorty 55" 51#26"
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 09:17:53 am »
Looks great B2W. Lots of character in that stave, good work on your  part. I agree with GlisGlis, those nocks are sweet.
Mike 

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 09:24:50 am »
Very challenging bow with an impressive tiller. Congrats!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 01:04:58 pm »
Another thing
usually my wrappings looks ugly
How do you make yours?
Are those just fibers or it's a braided thread?

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 05:47:24 pm »
Be interesting to see how far it would fling a flight arrow 350 grain 3 short low fletchings :)
Del
Im a bit confused, isn't 10 gpp the formula to compare bowperformance? Or do you think she has flightshooting potential  ::) ?
Veeeeery nice again Martin - seems you still have some of that tricky staves left - you know I always love your attention to detail and design: georgeous nocks and everything else. You really squeezed everything out of that stick. congrats and lg  (-S 
simon, I have sorted out some this winter, still some challenges in the pile! Don't know if I really squeezed everything out of it, someone like half eye would have tillered it to 28" easily. Maybe when I have more of this shortish under my belt I will try to draw it further.
Very challenging bow with an impressive tiller. Congrats!
made quite a few with propellers and S or ? Shaped designs - it's not that tricky but very tricky with recurves ::)
Another thing
usually my wrappings looks ugly
How do you make yours?
Are those just fibers or it's a braided thread?
those are just fibers about 50 to 60 cm long. I pull them out of a big combed bundle. Then I remove loose fibers with the hand then draw them throug my spity mouth a couple of times until there are no more lost fibers and wet. Small and even bundles! Then I size the unmasked area with thinned waterproof carpenter glue. Another coat but thicker, not all at once for broader wraps. When I wrap I try to untwist the bundle as flax has some in it. Then I simply spread or remove the exit glue with the finger, always one direction!. After drying I cut off the raising fibers. Easier than trying to stick em down into the wet glue! Then another coat with carpenter glue.

Thanks for the nice words, glad you like it!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:52:26 pm by backtowood B2W »