Author Topic: So is hickory a pain to keep moisture down  (Read 3193 times)

Offline organic_archer

Re: So is hickory a pain to keep moisture down
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 09:03:30 pm »
I've had similar experiences as others here have already mentioned. Keeping the moisture down during the build has been, to me, the most critical part. I've had great luck "fire hardening" wide, thin hickory bows as well. I don't pay much attention to the science of it, but the creosote in the smoke probably has something to do with it. Not sure, I just know it's worked well for me and the bows hold reflex even in higher humidity. Build dry, heat treat/fire harden, seal with more coats of finish than other species and you should be good to go. They'll still lose a little cast on the worst summer days, but they spring right back to life once they dry out.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2021, 09:07:53 pm »
Keep in mind that these people where probably stronger than the average modern archer, so they could get better cast simply by using heavier bows, and they could also get closer to game than most of us can.  The lack of chronos probably had something to do with it too :D
Wouldn't heavier bows just take more set?

Based on?
The implication was that the bows took set due to moisture so you could make a heavier draw to compensate. I'm asking if it's already taking set at a lesser draw weight wouldn't heavier weight lead to even more set?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Fox

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 09:48:44 pm »
Keep in mind that these people where probably stronger than the average modern archer, so they could get better cast simply by using heavier bows, and they could also get closer to game than most of us can.  The lack of chronos probably had something to do with it too :D
Wouldn't heavier bows just take more set?

Based on?

The implication was that the bows took set due to moisture so you could make a heavier draw to compensate. I'm asking if it's already taking set at a lesser draw weight wouldn't heavier weight lead to even more set?

yeah thats what I would think Allyn...cause like they describe in TBB about how if you make a bow 1" wide 30 pounds and it takes say 1" of set then make the exact same bow 60 pounds it would take 2" and how if you take two 1" wide 30 pound bows and "join" them together to make a 2" bow thats 60" it would take 1" of set?

that was worded badly sorry  ;D you guys probably know the quote im talking about though.... or am I remembering incorrectly?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?