Author Topic: Newbie Nock problem  (Read 1027 times)

Offline BGspineguy

Newbie Nock problem
« on: February 07, 2021, 03:56:10 pm »
Just finished my first bow.  Lots of mistakes but overall I知 pretty pleased with it.  Rawhide backed hickory bow.  The stave had some twist to it and I thought I corrected it decently but after shooting it about 30-40 times I知 having an issue with the lower limb nock.  My string wants to wander out of the groove on one side.  I知 not sure of how to address this issue.  I thought about heating the tip and simply giving it a side bend the opposite way.  Any thoughts before I do something I値l regret?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Newbie Nock problem
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 04:39:51 pm »
That's a great tiller.
The lower string nock is too big.
Tie a string that fits snugly to the lower limb.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:10:27 pm »
Heating it up may compromise the rawhide backing. Jawge痴 advice is solid.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 08:41:24 pm »
You limb is twisted just a hair the wrong way, teak (roll) it over and your problem will be solved.

I see this a lot on my static recurves, a little heat, a tweak in the padded vise, cool, check and repeat as necessary. you don't have to hold the correction in the vise until it cools as this is a correct and check kind of thing.

I doubt if the rawhide will be affected this close to the tip, if its glue it back down with TB3.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:02:12 pm »
sound advice from above,, another option, you could file the string groove a bit deeper on that that side,,the right side in the picture,
also you could sightly angle the belly side of the tip toward the string a bit, or in otherwords align the tip toward the string,,till it is centered,,

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:29:03 pm »
I've had issues like that before, but it's never been worth worrying about on my straight limb bows.  I don't know why it would be more of an issue on recurves like that.  I agree that a smaller string loop would help.

That's a nice bow, and an impressive amount of bend in the upper limb.  Is this your first?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 02:09:25 am »
Nice job on your first bow! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 03:11:18 am »
You need to open the nock and your string loop is too big.
A nock groove should be string width at the back but open out to a 45 deg wide 'slot' on the bellyside. The string moves as the bow is drawn and you need to figure that string movement in.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 03:12:18 am »
String the bow and clamp the handle in a vice. Pull the bow and watch the string move in the nock groove. Adjust as needed :)

Offline BGspineguy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 02:02:35 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Sounds like the KISS method of simply decreasing the size of my loop will help.  I値l try that first of course. 
Yes, this is my first bow.  Covid shut down allowed me to pursue the project.  I harvested some hickory, maple and Osage last March.  They seemed dry enough by December to give it a go.  Initially overtillered it then had to make adjustments to increase poundage.  Dropped an inch in length from each limb, added recurve and backed with rawhide worked.  Can稚 wait to get started on the next one.  I値l try a maple bow with hickory backing (wife wants her own). Waiting until I get better to tackle the Osage.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 03:11:27 pm »
Eric and Jawge are hitting it close to what I would do is both... be careful when tweaking limb as to not adjust your string out of center of handle .. even a slight bit to arrow pass side is acceptable... definitely tighten that loop.... tiller looks very nice.. hickory will bend with dry heat just don't overdo it.. I'd let it sit for a while and stabilize before stringing again too.. 48 hours to be safe... gut