Author Topic: Slowly but surely  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Slowly but surely
« on: January 30, 2021, 04:23:52 pm »
My osage bow is begining to look more and more like a bow. I have narrowed the limbs some and now in process of thinning them a little at a time. Having been sick has helped in slowing me down and forcing me to do just a little bit at a time. But even now, I do some and then just sit and evaluate what I have done and what needs to be done. It also makes me study the limbs even more so. But the wood, the wood is beginning to look like it is more than just a piece of wood. When I sand it now, it has a creamy look that screams live wood with action. I take pictures to study the tillering process as I go and then make my plans of attack. I haven't cut the handle out to shape yet but am ready to do soon. Osage is a heavy wood and the transformation from the stave into a lighter bow is just a mind blowing thing. As you see the bow begin to materialize, it begins to come to life. Suddenly you are planning ahead to when you get to draw it back and let loose an arrow. Now it is becoming part of you, you are wanting to make it into something that makes you proud to own. Slowly but surely, I am inching towards that prize, a prize that I hope to hunt with and proudly show others and tell them, "Yeah, I made it, pretty cool, huh." But, a lot can still happen between now and then so I am being careful. A selfbow is like a creation that is one of a kind, something that has it's own quirks so each one is special in it's own way. Almost there! 

Offline bentstick54

Re: Slowly but surely
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:56:37 pm »
Sounds like you have learned a very important step in the process. Patience. Patience is your friend. Most of the mistakes I have made have been due to rushing things. Good luck.

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:44:58 pm »
today so far, removed a little wood in several places and got most of them lioking better but still stiff in lower limb from about 10" to 15" from tip. Just removed some and sanded lightly, will check it in a little bit. I managed to pull to about 21" and had 40#. I am shooting for about 42# at 26 1/2" so all is well so far. I do a little, walk away and relax for a bit and then go back and look at everything closely again before I do anything. This helps prevent me from doing something that I will regret. I had changed my mind on which limb was to be the top. I hadn't cut the handle yet but had it drawn out on the back. last night, I had in a hurry remarked the handle. today, I realized that the little shelf I was going to cut in this evening was drawn for a lefty LOL. so fixed that. my work habits now on this bow build would drive some nutts because I am taking my sweet time but it is what it is.

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 05:50:25 pm »
very good day, used the gizmo and got the tiller pretty darn good. after carefully working the limbs down, I got it to 42 or 43 lbs at 26". I carefully sanded everything before cutting out the handle shape. Tomorrow will hopefully be about shaping the handle and finishing the shelf for the arrow. maybe will get the limb overlays glued on, will use walnut. then it will be about finishing the bow, have some TruOil so will use it. really looking good, at least to me. so much better than the first two bows that were too light. Got to love this hobby.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 08:10:04 pm »
 :OK (-P
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:18:25 pm »
Yep got to love it, looking forward to seeing it shooting, sounds like you are getting close. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 11:16:06 am »
Slowly but surely is the way to go. Once I started using only a scraper(mostly) after floor tiller my bent sticks became bows. It might be more work that way but I'm more aware of every bit of wood that I take off.
 Looking forward to seeing your progress, Jerry.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zugul

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 01:54:56 pm »
I hope it will shoot sweetly  ;)

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 03:42:16 pm »
not unless I make a really good repair on an upper cracked limb LOL. it is what it is. Jerry