Author Topic: Question about artificial sinew  (Read 1461 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Question about artificial sinew
« on: January 18, 2021, 11:18:27 am »
What material is artificial sinew made from? I have some from three rivers archery. Is it heavier than other materials like D97 and linen? How much does it stretch compared to B50? I have some and would like to make some bow strings with it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Question about artificial sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:38:51 am »
It is either made from nylon or B-50 (or so I've heard). The one I've had for years is nylon.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 11:59:04 am »
Nylon or Polyester.  Not likely actual B50 polyester  but it functions exactly the same for all intents and purposes.

You'll be able to tell quickly by testing for stretch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 12:00:52 pm »
You can make a string with art. sinew but it is very stretchy, way more than B-50. If you want to make a bow string why not buy bow string making material?
Artn sinew comes in 3 or 4 different sizes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:30:05 pm »
Yep, as Pat said, a serviceable and safe string can certainly be made from artificial sinew (nylon), but the string will be A LOT stretchier and somewhat heavier than a string made from other, more suitable, materials.  I actually killed several deer with selfbows using artificial sinew strings before I was able to get my hands on some more suitable material, so I know it definitely works, but it isn't ideal at all. 

Matt

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:59:24 pm »
Ill have to use it for a tiller rope and buy some D97 then. Thanks!

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 01:02:05 pm »
As I said, check and see what you actually have.   

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 01:48:50 pm »
B50 is Dacron, B55 is polyester, and if artificial  sinew is nylon, and I don't know that, it will have considerably more stretch than the other two.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 01:51:49 pm »
B50 is Dacron, B55 is polyester, and if artificial  sinew is nylon, and I don't know that, it will have considerably more stretch than the other two.

From the years and years I used artificial sinew as a string before I was able to get "real" string material, I would estimate that it has at least 10-15% stretch under a moderate load.  I'm pretty sure it is nylon.  This matches what one would expect out of nylon fishing line.  I used to make my strings several inches shorter than they "should" have been and they would fall to brace height within a minute of stringing the bow  ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 07:02:37 pm »
Tandy artificial sinew is Polyester.   

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 04:02:56 pm »
From the  Sinew guide on the net........Imitation sinew, or fake sinew is made from man made fibers such as polypropylene, polyester, and nylon. That ,"and nylon" would be enough for me not to use it as a bow string. Probably the reason Flintnp17 got so much stretch when he used it. Better off with B50,B55,or FF, linen, flax,  but that is your call.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 05:57:18 pm »
I used it for years. The  Tandy stuff behaves just like B50   but looks a lot better on a wood bow.    Easier to work with too since it's well waxed already.

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 07:12:37 pm »
I used up the last spool I had. Never tried it as bow string. Was only going by research. Would look better on a wood bow.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 08:27:04 am »
My tiller string is from Tandy. I also use it to shoot on a new bow until I get one made. If it has any stretch I can’t tell it. It’s 6 strand, waxed together in pairs and braided.