Author Topic: Rawhide backing prep  (Read 910 times)

Offline Kidder

Rawhide backing prep
« on: January 03, 2021, 04:44:53 pm »
So I’ve heat treated my BL stave and it seems to have come out real nice! Built a caul and evened up the reflex on it. During the heat treat I coated the belly with bacon grease and the back ended up with a nice coated rubbed in. Basically the whole thing is coated with bacon grease. Can’t beat the smell of bacon grease cooking! I intend to back it with rawhide for insurance and am wondering if I need to remove the bacon grease prior to backing it, and if so what is the best way to do so? Thanks in advance.

Offline PatM

Re: Rawhide backing prep
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:56:50 pm »
Definitely and you might have a really hard time doing it adequately.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 05:13:16 pm »
Definitely and you might have a really hard time doing it adequately.
What would you do to remove it?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 06:09:17 pm »
Probably multiple scrubs and rinses with Dawn soap, sanding and then another scrubbing and rinse.
   I'd want to  make sure I wasn't touching the belly side and then the gluing surface after as well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:18:40 pm »
Pour boiling water over a limb, scrub it with Dawn then rinse with boiling water. Then the next limb. Don't forget the back of the handle where rawhide will go too.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:19:31 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 02:13:33 pm »
I have used draino, or liquid drain cleaner, if I really thought the grease was soaked in, then the soap and boing water,,too,, after all that work, I dont want it coming off,,
ashes and water makes a strong de greaser too,, good advice from above

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 05:21:22 pm »
Be sure to wear gloves if you use the drain cleaner or ash and water. Lye will burn your skin. Vinegar will neutralize it too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC